Why are more men inclined to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife:
a few weeks ago i tried to have a conversation with a LDS manager about wetsuit sizing and women... he was asking what to do about getting more women thru his store

when i started saying that i felt part of the problem was body image issues and wetsuits he response (and i have witnesses) was 'well i dont want those type of women here, they can **** off'

yes there are women diveshop owners and boat operators and dm & instructors but really, the diving industry is a mans world in general

i note that on my sewing forum no-one really asks "why dont more men sew" .... maybe because we women just get on with it and enjoy :D
Well, I can't believe that I'm somewhat defending this LDS manager. But maybe he was actually being (I'm not sure exactly what adjective to put here) if you think about it. He's saying that he doesn't want women who need to be catered to their image problems and so on. It can get tiring. He's willing to lose money on that. I kind of command him for that in a way. He just wants divers. People who want to dive. At least for this LDS manager. Of course, all this is speculation. Obviously he's being short-sighted but it is his business. Sometimes you just don't want to deal with every type of customer.

As for why women asking why men doesn't sew.......isn't it rather obvious? It's considered too effeminate. If it was socially more acceptable, maybe more men would take it up? I also see the problem of women being rather passive in accepting/tolerating that boys will be boys, but when men want women to take up certain activities, they do question it as evidenced by this posting.....but that's really rare.

Most of you are like saying well, women have image problems, women don't think they're cut out for it, women have shark fears and the fact it's kind of a men's club in a way and so on.......notice a pattern?

It's our socialization of women vs. men. We're far more accepting of men doing physical stuff. We're less tolerant of women being the same. For example, look at Bille Jean King. When she started tennis, so many people thought it was so "unwomanly", unattractive and so on. This was coming from both women and men. Now, we don't give a second thought to women playing tennis. It takes time for it be considered acceptable.

Our society really gears women to focus on looks a whole a lot. We socialize them to play on stoves, with dolls, to think of their "prince charming" and so on. With men, we socialize them to play those dumb military games, not to cry, not to give in to their fears and so on.

I know that a lot of men joke, but god, it can get tiring when they constantly talk about wanting an attractive girlfriend or wife. It's a game that continues forever. Take for example, DrBill (please don't take offense at this by the way and if you get offended, please do tell me, and I'll remove your name), he's constantly saying that he'll love to find attractive woman diver (who also has a brain and is earning independently as well which is admittedly less common in a way) but the notice the fact that he's constantly referring to attractiveness a lot!

My point is that, until society starts socializing women not to focus on looks so much, and men not to think it's such a great trophy to garner an attractive lady, it'll continue ad nauseum.

As for those future men posters who'll write in saying, well they have brainy wives and so on.....great. How much did you focus on her looks as well? See my point?

Anyway, that's my reasoning why there aren't that many independent women divers who started on their own. It takes a level of comfort within yourself to do it on your own and being "physical" alone. I would know. I'm one of them. It took me a long time to finally get past the barrier of just doing the scuba diving alone and not think of other issues. Of course, for me it was helpful that I'm ugly.....so, less emotional investment in staying "pretty" as opposed to pretty women who are invested in that.

It's not natural for women not to want to do scuba diving or anything else. It's a byproduct of our culture/socialization/what have you. That's my bottom line.

Just my random weird .002 psi.......

almitywife:
a few weeks ago i tried to have a conversation with a LDS manager about wetsuit sizing and women... he was asking what to do about getting more women thru his store

when i started saying that i felt part of the problem was body image issues and wetsuits he response (and i have witnesses) was 'well i dont want those type of women here, they can **** off'

-I realize that many women may have body image issues. Knowing that makes me respect the women who DO dive even more. MOST people out there are at least in some way affected by superficial beauty (which is partially why people like Brad Pitt and Jessica Alba are so successful). But if you are reluctant to even put on a wet suit because you are afraid of how you look, you are letting it run your life.
I would argue that NOBODY (even Jessica Alba) looks sexy in a wetsuit. If wetsuits were sexy we'd see them in magazines. I can't see a Sports Illustrated Wetsuit Issue coming out anytime soon :coffee:

I've been bashed for suggesting this before - by so called "experts" who are dm and instructors.

Wetsuits don't stretch well, and women come in all size and shapes. Improperly fitted wetsuit (especially thickerones) severely restrict respiratory movement, and causes difficulty breathing.

I think that is one reason why women don't do scuba especially in colder water - can not get good fitting wetsuits.

fisherdvm, I think you are onto something there. I just got a new Henderson Hyperstretch and it is as different as day and night. I had a hot flash everytime I tried to get into a regular wetsuit and it never fit correctly. I know Henderson has some quality issues with the construction and if you stretch it too much you loose some warmth, but the benefits really out weigh its draw backs. I still look really bad in it, but I am comffy.

Here's a new one. Women, us guys DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE IN A WETSUIT!!!! To us, the fact that you are IN A WETSUIT and giong diving with us makes you the MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMEN in the world. What is there to worry about there, I don't get it. Image conscious? Fine. But how many people actually see you in a wetsuit on a dive boat? Then again, how many people on a dive boat care what someone else looks like? I dont, hell I know I look kinda funny in a wetsuit so why would I care what someone else looks like in thiers?

Well, how about another factor to consider?

The will to explore. Is it more instilled in men than in women? The need to see over the next hill, past the next river, look beyond the horizon, go into space...is this drive deeper in men?

For example: It's the early 1800's and 10 men and 10 women are in St. Louis. If a poll were taken, how many women vs men would vote to go west? The dangers of heading to California were well known, but I suspect the men ignored the risk (or had the "it can't happen to me" syndrome) and the women were thinking "cold, starvation, indians, disease, no shopping, etc). It is not that they were less interested in the land, the wealth, the new beginning but perhaps, the drive (motivation) factor may have been less...they probably went for the very same reasons some women try diving today...because they supported their men's dreams; not because it was their idea. Men, in general, are not capable of the same level of support on subjects they don't do themselves...don't know why. Our need to see over the next hill can get men into trouble with their SO's...especially if that hill is another woman!:D

Diving may be the "threshold" sport for women in relationships with men. Golf, tennis, mountain biking, etc are all pretty standard for M/F involvement. But diving? Every trip in is a new exploration with a lot of time and energy needed to make it work. Maybe this is where the line often gets drawn?

Jon C:
Men dive more because they can:

a) go an hour without shopping.
b) go an hour without talking
c) go an hour without telling someone how to drive
d) go an hour without worrying about make-up
e) go an hour with Oprah
You forgot one ....
The women spend thier freetime in the kitchen and the laundry room.
Yes, I know.
I'm an MSP.

webjr:
You forgot one ....
Yes, I know.
I'm an MSP.

I am sorry I will not be able to post in the thread for a while. As soon as I get done sharpening my giant dive knife, I have a date! On second thought, if it is dull, it could be more fun. LOL:D

webjr:
You forgot one ....
Yes, I know.
I'm an MSP.
An "MSP" with questionable spelling abilities...

Mel

Back
Top Bottom