Why are jetfins so good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the fin that should have put Ralph under:

DSCN1174.jpg

By the way, has anyone tried taping shut the vents and/or holes in the jets? Do they make any difference?

I've just been thinking that fins are usually designed with the flutter kick in mind, but what should a fin specifically designed for frog kicking look like?

How does the weight (buoyancy) of the fin affect it's frog kick efficiency? I mean, on the one hand you'd expect lighter fins to take less energy to move around, but on the other hand some weight may give them more momentum that could translate into more efficient kicks... For example, I play squash and they now have rackets of various weights. The lighter ones are generally preferred and more expensive, but I'm not sure the super light ones are the most popular (so I think there is such a thing as too light), and it's generally thought that a heavier racket makes it easier to generate strong hits, especially for beginners who lack the technique to generate power.

Jets are so good because the SEALs use them, that's why

You dont see MEN diving with splitfins?:D

Meng_Tze:
Jets are so good because the SEALs use them, that's why

You dont see MEN diving with splitfins?:D
Yeah, but UDT used Duck Feet.

Force Fins must be great then because I've seen SEALS use those too. I've also seen EOD use Split Fins.....

:D

Actually, it's a good question Floater brings up. I constantly see the admdonition to just use Jets, but no one has quantified why. While I've heard good things about Jets, I've also heard good things about Dive Rite fins and my instructor is a die hard Force Fin guy AND a technical diver.

GIFFMANN:
While I've heard good things about Jets, I've also heard good things about Dive Rite fins and my instructor is a die hard Force Fin guy AND a technical diver.

According to the forcefin.com site, Hal Watts, who has his own scuba agency and made some record dives back in the day and may still hold the deep air cave dive record, uses force fins. His favorites are apparently the Foil Force fins:

foilforce282.jpg

I'd like to try the tan delta excellerating force fins myself as they look best suited for the frog kick, but since they retail for $629, I doubt I ever will.

*Floater*:
According to the forcefin.com site, Hal Watts, who has his own scuba agency and made some record dives back in the day and may still hold the deep air cave dive record, uses force fins. His favorites are apparently the Foil Force fins:

foilforce282.jpg

I'd like to try the tan delta excellerating force fins myself as they look best suited for the frog kick, but since they retail for $629, I doubt I ever will.

Dude,
I've used that fin, it has amazing thrust, and is great for heavy currents ( I think I posted about it earlier). I've done frog kicks with it. The one that retails for $629 is this one ( the Extra force Fin Tan Delta).
C-Dawg

Attachments

• extraforce282.jpg
    extraforce282.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 48
Vtdiver2:
Dude,
I've used that fin, it has amazing thrust, and is great for heavy currents ( I think I posted about it earlier). I've done frog kicks with it. The one that retails for $629 is this one ( the Extra force Fin Tan Delta).
C-Dawg
Retail is only $[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]389.95.[/FONT]

Thalassamania:
Here's the fin that should have put Ralph under:

DSCN1174.jpg

Thalassamania: We called this fin the "polio fin". I know that is not very PC. That fin was a total mess. We went diving with the old Ed Brawely crew and tried it over and over again, never worked.

Ralph, with his mind racing, as usual, thought that "locking" the ankle and having the fin deliver thrust from a full leg extension would make for a better fin.

At least he tried.

I actually liked my old Farallon fins. I broke the braces pretty quick though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom