Why are jetfins so good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I prefer Adblock, but it sounds like it and Nuke Anything do essentially the same thing.
I can right click on any image, click "adblock" and it allows me to either block just that image (ie, it isn't seen ever again, and the page is resized as if it were never there), or I can block a whole domain, which is very useful for advertising.
I no longer see 95% of those stupid flashy advertisements on the web.

*Floater*:
And why hasn't anyone improved on the design, say by modernizing the foot pockets for example? (well, maybe the Japanese have...)

Kind of ironic.... The bewildering assortment of fins on the market today are all attempts at a better design. As far as the foot pockets go the only modernization that seemed necessary was the larger size necessary to accomodate rock/dry boots.

mdb:
The "Decomposer" was, of course, a big mess. If you like the fins, good, most did not. The company lost tons of money before Bob Hollis purchased what was left.
I'll have to call Bob and see if he has any still kicking about.

Walter:
Thanks, but that doesn't solve the problem.
My fault, sorry it was the first time I used Photobucket.

Thalassamania:
I'll have to call Bob and see if he has any still kicking about.

Thalassamania: Bob might very well have a pair or two of those fins lurking about in San Leandro. You were also correct about Ralph and his ability to see new solutions for diving equipment. Ralph was always ahead of the pack. Sometimes he ran out of money, however; he never ran out of ideas.

On of my favorite "Ralph moments" was at during Session 3 at the AAUS Dive Computer workshop. Carl Edmonds was going on about the EDGE permiting a bizarre series of dives, like 150 for 10 with a 10 min Surface Interval then the same thing again. I guess after about four of these series the EDGE said it was OK to surface and when the dives did the bent. Ralph stood up and asked, "What kind of booger eathing morons would dive profiles like that anyway?" To which Parker Turner drawled, "Way we think kinda stuff all the time."

I used to hang a lot with Graham Hawkes, the submerisble designer, he's up in the North Bay. I love to get him together with Ralph some time, that would be a dinner worth listening to.

Soggy:
That, and Force fins are a SERIOUS rule #6 violation. :eyebrow:
I know you're joking (kind've), but sometimes people trying to be "serious" divers get too wrapped up in rule #6 ... sometimes to their detriment ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TomP:
As far as the foot pockets go the only modernization that seemed necessary was the larger size necessary to accomodate rock/dry boots.
Unfortunately, that takes you from a size 8 to a size 18 ... the vast majority of Turtles users would probably be using Jets if they had something in between ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

MaxBottomtime:
Maybe posters should just learn to re-size their images to 640X480 so it doesn't screw up the rest of the page.
I prefer 800x600, personally, but that depends on the screen res of the viewer... not something any of us have any control over. For instance, even 640x480 is a bit much when I'm accessing SB on my Treo.

But yes, oversize pics can be annoying. It would be cool if someone would write a FF plugin that would reduce the size of any onscreen image to a given size.

Back to the topic, I've tried Jets and I've tried Rockets, and while they look similar, the Rockets are way stiffer in the water, and not in a good way (IMO). I do wish SP would make a jet sized in between XL and XXL, although I realize turtles are an option at the point I buy a shoe a smidge too big for my XLs.

CompuDude:
Back to the topic, I've tried Jets and I've tried Rockets, and while they look similar, the Rockets are way stiffer in the water, and not in a good way (IMO). I do wish SP would make a jet sized in between XL and XXL, although I realize turtles are an option at the point I buy a shoe a smidge too big for my XLs.

According to some people the XS scuba XL power fin (jet clones) has a slightly larger foot pocket than the XL jet fin, but I haven't seen the power fins first hand so I cannot say for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom