Why a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A question for those of you who favor snorkels because of the possibility of needing one to help breathe while waiting for pick-up/rescue at sea. (And please, this is a serious question from one who has not ever been in the situation of having to spend any significant time on the surface in heavy seas -- or calm ones for that matter.)

How does a snorkel help you in any significant way to combat the splashing from the wave action? I can't get a picture of how it would help.

Assumptions: a. If adrift my BC/wing is fully inflated and weights are ditched to the maximum possible;
b. I'm going to try to be either vertical or slightly on my back with my face tilted up; and
c. I'm going to be facing downwind -- not into the wave action.

Are my assumptions wrong? If so, what is wrong.

If the assumptions are correct, how does a snorkel help?

A question for those of you who favor snorkels because of the possibility of needing one to help breathe while waiting for pick-up/rescue at sea. (And please, this is a serious question from one who has not ever been in the situation of having to spend any significant time on the surface in heavy seas -- or calm ones for that matter.)

How does a snorkel help you in any significant way to combat the splashing from the wave action? I can't get a picture of how it would help.

Assumptions: a. If adrift my BC/wing is fully inflated and weights are ditched to the maximum possible;
b. I'm going to try to be either vertical or slightly on my back with my face tilted up; and

I have been adrift and made long surface swims in rough conditions. I do what you say, I partially inflate my wing (2/3s or so, depends on wing) and swim on my back. When I stop swimming I naturally tend to go vertical unless I bend my knees. I swim steady in this postion. If waves break over me, so what. I can see where I am going, I can monitor surface traffic (boats), I can keep an eye on my dive boat or my entry/exit point. I wear my mask on my forehead unless I am getting wave after wave over me at which point I stick it under a chest strap or clip it off. No, I don't want it around my neck chocking me or interfereing with my neck and head constantly swiveling for traffic and direction.

My old Sea Tec horsehoe wing, about 40 pounds lift, is great for long, rough surface swimming. It does much better than my current Oxy 18/30. Why?---it has more lift, the horsehoe shape lets it taco upward and allows me to rest my arms on the bladders, the upward taco allows for a stable condition, it's horsehoe shape just seems to provide for the perfect back swimming and resting postion. Fully inflating it and arching my back will also raise my head considerably above the water to look around. As I swim I can cross my arms so that I can see my compass, elbows resting on bladder. I swim must faster this way and with less weaving about.

N

So, I found I could hang out on the surface with my snorkel watching her descend below me. That would be 10 minutes of air I didn't waste waiting for her from below.

How fast could you get a regulator to her from that position should she need one?

I have a problem with the assumptions.

First, if you have a back inflate or wing, you probably can not fully inflate it and remain vertical. At some point, the wing will tend to push you forward and face down. So, you don't fully inflate. And this leaves you less than a comfortable amount out of the water. That's one of the reasons I like my jacket style BC. I can get a long way out of the water and still remain vertical. Of course, I am now diving with a BP/W but that doesn't change my point of view re: jacket BCs.

Second, I don't think you can do "slightly on my back" with a wing. I know you can lay on your back - I do that all the time. But "slightly" probably isn't happening. At least not with your head very far out of the water.

Third, you don't get to choose which direction you look.

Then the issue isn't ocean swells, they may be large but they are far apart. The concern is whitecaps. These are wind waves that are not so very tall but they may have a very sharp leading edge (the white frothy part). These will put a lot of water in your face if you can't get high out of the water. Even then, they are often unavoidable. Having something in your mouth is reassuring.

Even DIR doesn't say to scrap the snorkel. They just believe it acceptable to have it in a pocket.

A regulator on the surface will eventually drain the tank - then what?

Now, I realize this is a religious war and there won't be any winners. But I can guarantee you I have taught my grandson to have something in his mouth at all times. Regulator, snorkel, I don't care. But something... At all times...

The best rescue swimmers in the world (US Coast Guard) wear snorkels - at all times! See YouTube - Coast Guard HH-65C - Missing Diver Rescue

Then make your own choice. My mind is made up.

Richard

If you swim on your back breathing with a snorkel it is not a snorkel but a straw.

N

Having been in the real world and tried both Nemrod's methods and the idea of a snorkel, I speak from experience. I prefer being on the surface face down with snorkel in for a number of reasons.

1. Being on your back swimming on the surface means you have your back turned to your target vs. being on your chest swimming means you are swimming and looking directly toward your target... not back over your shoulder. This is a much more effective position in rough sees... as when you are at the peak of a swell... simply lift your head out of the water and you'll see your target. It is much easier to keep a bearing on your target as well. By taking a compass heading, you can read your compass face down in the water... you can not read and utilize your compass on your back.

2. If you are out of air, it is much better to be relaxing comfortably face down with a snorkel in your mouth than on your back with waves coming over you and an open mouth. To think that a fully inflated BCD will keep waves from coming over you in rough conditions is simply erroneous.

3. In the open ocean swimming face down allows you to monitor what is going on beneath you. Changing terrain can be hazardous to you as you approach shore... and you'll never see that large rock or coral head on your back. In addition, you can see any hazardous marine life (such as sharks) should you be stranded for any period of time in the open ocean. Without a snorkel, dealing with this situation is problemtatic at best.

While Nemrod's idea works fine in a flat calm sea... it does not in moderately rough or worse conditions... so take your snorkel with you... even if its rolled up in your pocket... you never know when you'll be glad you have it.

This is the only good use of a snorkel...........

GoodUseOfSnorkel.jpg

If you swim on your back breathing with a snorkel it is not a snorkel but a straw.

N

It sure seemed that way to me the one time I tried it! On the other hand, it drains pretty well.

It was a pretty calm day when I did this and I didn't have much problem keeping the snorkel out of the water. But in rough water it wouldn't work at all.

I think if the seas get rough, floating on your back may not be the preferred method. Snorkel or no snorkel, your face will be under water more often than not. I'm thinking about wind waves, not swells.

Richard

I'd say snorkels and their use are analogous to handguns. If you don't know how to use one you're better off never getting into a situation where you might need one. I respect anyone who's skill level is such in either endeavor to impress me. It's a tool that can be used as needed and I teach my students how to do such. We'd do well in the instructional field to do more training in the basics. I always find definitive statements about anything just mean you ain't been in the situation yet that will change your mind.
Learn to use the snorkel and let common sense be your guide.
Mike

Yeah except I can see a reason why someone might want to own a snorkel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom