Why a Roxy wetsuit won't work for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachlawyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just tried on a 3/2 Roxy wetsuit and I loved the fit, the zipper seemed very solid, the wrists have a seal that tucks in...so my question is why are some wetsuits not recommended for diving? Anyone ever dove with a Roxy?

Hi

Surf suits use a neoprene which is developed with stretch and wamrth at the surface uppermost in mind. In order to achieve this, the neoprene is blown with more gas in it. The neoprene is then lovely and stretchy and has excellent insulation properties. The problems come when you go below the surface, the gas that has provided the insulation at the surface then becomes compressed by the pressure of the water and the neoprene will then become thinner and less insulating.

The other issue with the more supple neoprene is that it tends to remain compressed after a dive and does not recover its original thickness. This is not necessarily evident after a couple of dives, but I have obsevred it after as few as 10 dives in several surf suits.

Dive suits tend (although some of the newer ones are superstretch neoprene) to be made with more compression resistant neoprenes to avoid the loss of performance at depth.

Hope this helps.

Jim

marine boy summed up the behavior of the rubber very well.

In some cases surf and triathlon type suits have a very delicate rubber outer surface that will not stand up to the tugging and chafing of dive gear.

IMHO in the case of a 3mm or 3/2 wetsuit it doesn't really make much difference whether you buy one for surf or for diving. You'll only be using them for warm water diving anyway and the buoyancy swing is minimal compared to say what I get with my 7mm semi-dry wet suit.
I have two warm-water surf wetsuits, one 3/2 shorty and one full length 3mm that both have several years usage for holiday diving and they're both in an almost new state although each has at least a 100 dives. What I do when I go to a warm-water location is take both suits and a mix of other items, gloves, 3mm hood, lycra and a 1mm vest. Then I mix and match according to what is needed.

My wife and I use surf suits for warm water diving. 2mm shorty's and 4/3 full suits. They are holding up nicely. Well mine is since she didnt get to do any diving while pregnant last year.

If you are thinking of purchasing a wetsuit, than do not purchase one for surface use. They will work, but will compress, and are not going to be as warm as a suit designed to deal with the compression of depth.

If you HAVE a Roxy, and want to dive it.. sure. Others have pointed out a couple of potential issues, but it will work as others have pointed out.

My experience is that surf suits are as or more expensive vs. dive suits... but they have real cool logos! :D

I use a Jet Piolt 3/2 and it seems to be just fine. It keeps me warm to about 65 F at about 35 feet in the lake.

I just tried on a 3/2 Roxy wetsuit and I loved the fit, the zipper seemed very solid, the wrists have a seal that tucks in...so my question is why are some wetsuits not recommended for diving? Anyone ever dove with a Roxy?
If the Roxy fits well and is thick enough to be used in the water temps you're diving in, go ahead and use it. Much of the debate about surf vs. dive wetsuits is based on old technology, the way they were put together and the type of neoprene. Surf suits were constructed with a lot of mobility in mind, hence the different thickness throughout (thicker in the torso, thinner in legs and arms) and the exposed stiching with a thinner air blown neoprene. Dives suits were all one thickness (7mm, 6mm, etc.) and used a welded seam with a nitrogen blown glideskin type of neoprene. These days there really is no difference. Manufacturers that make both surf and dive suits (O'neill and Body Glove come to mind) tend to use the same neoprene in both lines now and the blind, welded stitching can be found in both, as well as the different panel thickness. In fact, the same features they play-up for, say surfing, as being superior to the competition, they also play-up in their dive line. The one thing you want to pay attention to is the temps that the surf manufacturers say their suits are good for. It's one thing to sit on the surface of 65 deg F. water with only the occasional dunk, it's another to stay fully submerged in it for an hour+.

BTW my O'neill Mutant 5/4 winter surf suit is also my temperate water dive suit and it works great. Now if I ever decide to dive in cold water. . .forget the wetsuit, I'm going to a drysuit.:D

Thanks for all the replies, and yes the answers helped very much. I already have one, and for warmer water, I think it should be ok. Thanks! I also have a 5mm Pinnacle Merino Wool Elastiprene w/ hood, and a skin, and a 1 mm Aqualung. Probably serve me in a variety of temps for now....I like cool logos, and I'm sure I'll find another cool color suit next season!

Not a Roxy but my wife has been diving with a BodyGlove 3/2mm for tropical diving for the past several years; has 100+ dives on it; has no problems with it; and it still looks almost like new.

Back
Top Bottom