Who's the oldest diver on the board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama:
I just turned the big 5-0 in February, and I am starting to feel my age especially in terms of my flexibility. This is giving me pause in that I fear I may not be able to dive into my 60s.

Any sexagenarians on the board (no that's not a dirty old man although you could be a sexagenarian and be a dirty old man too:D )?

You will dive into your 60's and beyond. I'll be 60 in October. I hope to have 60+ dives this year. I've been diving with folks 70+, just keep on diving.

WOW! I feel much better already (except about the excercise part). Thanks Barracuda2 and mdb and the other "more experienced" divers that responded. Y'all give me hope that I'll dive into my 60s and maybe even beyond. Now, that I feel better, I think I'm gonna lay down on the couch for a while :))

Florabama:
Any sexagenarians on the board (no that's not a dirty old man although you could be a sexagenarian and be a dirty old man too:D )?

Our YMCA instructor is now about age 78, has 10000+ dives, and still makes eight or ten annual dive trips, including Bali and such places. He also uses less air than anyone I've ever seen, and carries a custom-built camera+strobes setup that must weight 50 lbs. Truly an amazing guy, and proof that one can dive for a long, long time if one stays in decent shape.

:D think about it! there's no better place to check out of this world. a heart attack at 90yrs 130ft below. youre last sight would be a beatifull coral encrusted wreck!

thats the way Id love to go.

I'll be 60 this year, still diving hundreds of dives a year and still instructing. As long as someone is willing to haul my crap to the waters edge for me I'll dive til I'm dead.

I turn 53 this year and I am stronger and faster than I ever was before in my life. As others have said this is the time in your life when you need to start taking diet and exercise seriously. By diet, I mean eat a wide range of foods including carbs and proteins.

This is also the time in my life when I have finally chosen to take up diving. I am looking forward to continuign for many, many years to come.

The exercise is paying huge dividends. I use less air than my son. It doesn't kill me to carry my equipment around for shore dives and I am not dead when I finish swimming out to the descent point.

I'll be 59 in June so I guess that's close to being a sexagenarian. And My PADI cert date is Aug 16, 1969.

Was diving in GBR last year with a boat buddy who was 76. His vacation the previous year was a solo crossing of the Atlantic in his sail boat, he did cut back a bit - only 4 dives a day, been diving since he was 14.

I figure this is a good role model.:D

WOW! I was thinking how old I was getting (49 this fall)
I now still feel middle aged, I can hardly wait to retire so I can dive a lot more!
You are right about eating well and excerising , so far, i,m only "thinking" about these things. I am going to have to take then "seriously" real soon"
Have "Fun and stay Wet"!
R.H.

Back
Top Bottom