Who's Diving Palos Verdes Saturday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to go out for a dive this Saturday AM hours. High Tide is @ 11:00am and would like to be in the water for then. I was originally planning a dive at Marineland's 120 reef but my buddy has to work. If anyone is diving in or around PV this Saturday "Feb 28th" let me know.
Thanks

Unfortunately I'm going to be out of town....but the swell and surf look to be in your favor! How come you're going to the 120 reef instead of out to the good part? :wink:

How come you're going to the 120 reef instead of out to the good part? :wink:

We were planning to go to 120 because its so easy "no huge surface swim required". If anyone is planning to do Long Point, I'm still willing and ready "that goes for Christmas Tree and Honey Moon as well". I was just letting everyone know my prior plans.

I'm still hoping to get back in the water this weekend. If I make it to Marineland on Saturday I'll be diving the Point. I need to remove the Gorgonian Reverand Al placed in the statue. :)
I try to dive the 120 reef at least once every couple of years to remind myself how boring it is. :)

I'm still hoping to get back in the water this weekend. If I make it to Marineland on Saturday I'll be diving the Point. I need to remove the Gorgonian Reverand Al placed in the statue. :)
I try to dive the 120 reef at least once every couple of years to remind myself how boring it is. :)

We call it the "180 Reef" as its preciously the opposite direction of the real dive at ML.

:wink:

Good luck getting back in, buddy. With the high tide profile its the perfect weekend.

We may hit it up tomorrow night and see if we can do better than 2-feet of viz this time.

---
Ken

If I make it to Marineland on Saturday I'll be diving the Point.

Let me know if your going to be diving the point, I would love for you to show me where the Lady of the Garden is. 120 reef is a great spot if you want to stay shallow and enjoy an average PV reef, but I def. agree that Long Point is where you get the TRUE marineland experience.

So let me get this strait. Your willing to walk about a million miles down a hill either carrying your gear or rolling it while wearing a wet or drysuit. Then you crawl over big boulders on a risky entry to do the 'easy' dive. Dude, if you wanted an easy dive go to Vets! The point is worth every last second of kelp crawling surface swimming that it takes to get there. Your sooooo close to give up at the 120 reef! I mean this in the friendliest of ribbings.

Best of luck getting out buddy!

I have to agree with Cody....if I'm gonna make the trek and schlep all my gear down there, I'm gonna get some great diving in! If you haven't tried out White Point, you could consider that (but only do it on high tide)....I don't know how it compares to the 120 reef in terms of diving, but it's pretty decent and the access is much nicer (the only place I know of that you park at the same level as the entry point).

Hope you get out this weekend though....have a good dive!

I loved the old days when we could park right at the cove at White Point. The entry and exit there is one of the worst at low tide and the best diving is a swim equal to the swim to Long Point, but it can be nice.
I had my best night dive at White Point. We saw hundreds of lobsters, a banded stingray, had an adult Giant Sea Bass come up to my face three times and had the best visibility I've ever seen there. Unfortunately, we entered in 1 1/2' surf on the fire road side, but by the time we entered the cove for our exit the surf was well overhead. We stayed behind the surf zone wondering where we could swim to to exit. We actually considered a mile swim to Pt. Fermin, but decided we were going to get hurt anyway, so we went straight in. Miraculously, as we approached shallow water, a huge swell lifted us up and set us down feet-first on the beach. I've never experienced anything like that before or since.

So let me get this strait. Your willing to walk about a million miles down a hill either carrying your gear or rolling it while wearing a wet or drysuit. Then you crawl over big boulders on a risky entry to do the 'easy' dive. Dude, if you wanted an easy dive go to Vets! The point is worth every last second of kelp crawling surface swimming that it takes to get there. Your sooooo close to give up at the 120 reef! I mean this in the friendliest of ribbings.

Best of luck getting out buddy!

I'm really not in that good of shape and I don't think the hike is that bad. I do suit up at my car .5 miles away from entry and even in all the neoprene, its quite tolerable. What isn't very tolerable is the way my XL Jetfins perform at the surface. Don't get me wrong, I love my XL's when I'm under water, but at the surface there quite frustrating. For surface swimming, snorkeling and free-diving, I'll take my Medium Jets anytime. Unfortunately I can't fit in my mediums with my thick tread boot, so in the winter, hikes, boats and rocky entries, the XL it has to be.

Giving up for the 120 reef is a great way to give up for me. Look at Psycho Solo Diver, he's been diving the 120 for years and still has a great time. I do really like Long Point and it does have some mind blowing life and reef....but I'm still really a noob at scuba. I've spent 3 years free diving and only about 1 doing scuba. 120 reef is still spectacular for me. I'm sure once I've been there a hundred times, I'll dismiss it as just another shallow reef. But for now... its still a thing of incredible beauty.

Like I said.... I'm all ready to go to Long Point if Phil or others are going. I just want to get wet this weekend.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom