Who's been to Thailand in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all!

I am new both to diving and this forum. Currently I have all bases covererd except where I can spend this year's vacation, which is in July.

I'd very much like to go to Thailand, but July's in the wet season there. I hear conflicting messages about the diveability esp. at the west coast. So are there any of you who've been to Thailand, especailly the Andaman sea and Phuket, to give me a short thumbs up or down. Conditions don't have to be perfect, but some diving bases should be open and operating.

I'm grateful for every hint!

Majikthise

In a word forget it if you want the best of the diving in Thailand.
Most of the marine parks in the andaman sea (west coast) are closed in July which rules out the best of the diving in that area, and indeed Thailand.
The Koh Chang area is usually not dived during this time due to very high rainfalls in the area and most things close down on the island during the summer.
The diving in the Pattaya area is crap and simply not a serious dive destination that would warrant traveling all the way from Germany.
During July probably the best option would be Koh Tao, but again is not necesserily the best time of year and certainly is far from the best location to dive in Thailand.
If you are unable to re schedule for a better time of year I would question the suitability of Thailand as your chosen destination. Thailand is a great place and you can have a good holiday here at any time of the year, even during the rainy season, but if diving is the main basis for your trip I would look elsewhere at that time of year.

Hey LK!

As I said, it does not have to be perfect. It doesn't have to be the best, it just has to be 'sorta okay'.
I am new to diving, plus I am a Biologist, so I can be excited even by the unspectacular :D

Important to me would be finding some dive bases that are actually open and operating, and ideally with a few more noobs so I don't stick out too much.

Oh and no sex tourism any way nearby - so that pretty much rules out Pattaya :D

Greets Majikthise

Majikthise, in the interest of complete transparency, let me say first of all that I run a dive shop on Phuket, on the Andaman (west coast) side of Thailand, and that some forum readers will have a knee-jerk reaction that it's for commercial interest only that I'm posting my own observations. However, professional integrity is important to me, and I believe that what I say is honest. Now that the caveat is out of the way....

July is indeed a month in the midst of the monsoon season here in the Andaman. Because the winds come from the southwest, the crossing from the mainland to the Similan islands can be very rough and dangerous. Only TWO marine parks, both in that area, are closed during this time of year. It's true, though, that these parks contain the very best diving in Thailand. You cannot visit these parks, but other marine parks ARE open for visitors, including the Phi Phi Islands Marine park, not too far from Phuket.

We dive year round from Phuket, and while our local dive sites are not, on average, as interesting as those in the Similans, they are still nice and you can enjoy good diving at them. One pleasant thing about diving our local sites during the summer months is that the boats are not crowded at all, and therefore the dive sites are not crowded either. Some of our shyer creatures, like leopard sharks, come back to the areas where we dive when there are fewer divers around flashing their cameras in the animals' faces.

In terms of weather, July is typically a fairly dry month of the "green" season (green because the rain greens everything back up). It doesn't rain every single day, and when it does rain, it doesn't rain all day long. Generally there will be a downpour of warm water (like standing under a shower) followed by bright sunshine that dries everything up. Sometimes there is chop on the ocean and a few people get sea sick at this time of year. We always have sea-sick tablets on board the boats, so it's generally not a big issue.

In a word, come. If you are interested in the Andaman Sea side of Thailand and you are not bothered that the prime diving area accessible from here is closed, we will do our best to help you have an enjoyable diving holiday. If given all that I've told you, you think you'd like to go elsewhere, I'll also tell you what I tell my own customers--consider Bali at this time of year. It's easy to get to, it's beautiful, and the mola-molas are just coming into season!

I live in Thailand and agree with Ms. Quero in all matters. You can have good diving all year round in Phuket. My wife and I did the liveaboard The Junk (Diving Phuket Liveaboard Thailand - The Junk Diving Liveaboard Vacation) in July. It was awesome. The boat sailed the southern route. While I do not know Gekko Divers, I know of other dive operations in Phuket. Scuba Cat is a good one also. I suggest visiting the web sites of the PADI operations in Phuket and then send them an email directly. I am sure Ms. Quero can answer you directly. Scuba cat is Phuket Scuba Diving Liveaboards, PADI Courses, IDC Thailand Good luck.

I spent May - Sept in the South andaman a few years back (Koh Lanta). So here is my ONE data point for that period. May-June, the seas were flat and the oceans crystal clear, worst day was 20+ meter vis. I went out at least 5x a week but almost exclusively to Koh Haa and Koh Bida group (both awesome dive sites). Unfortunately, we never had an advance enough group during this time to go to Hin Daeng/Muang. By July, the weather was getting eratic and the tourist flow to Koh Lanta dropped as the ferry stopped. The combination of waiting to get enough customers and cooperative weather meant I went diving 2x a week. In August and Sept, going out was completely dictated by the weather. So here are my thoughts

Koh Lanta in low season is dirt cheap and can get very very quiet. I got a very comfy room on the beach with air conditioning for less than $10 a day, but that was renting 1 month at a time and paying in cash upfront. If I had stayed at PhiPhi, there would always be enough customers to ensure that a dive boat goes out every day weather permitting. And as there are dive sites very close and some shore dives you could do, you would be very less weather dependant as well. However even at low season on PhiPhi, i doubt you can get bargain basement lodging.

Would be up to budget and your duration. If you are here for 1 week+, then you will most likely get in at least a few good diving days in.

Koh Tao is great in july, no rain, some wind from the south but not enough to effect dive site selection, good vis.

In fact one of our best months

First half of the month is quite quiet diver-wise then business picks up mid month.

Koh Tao is great in july, no rain, some wind from the south but not enough to effect dive site selection, good vis.

In fact one of our best months

First half of the month is quite quiet diver-wise then business picks up mid month.

Yes. KT would be my choice for July.

July is normally a pretty decent month in Phuket - yes it's "low" season but on average, July is the driest of the summer months (see Phuket Rainfall Averages | Phuket Weather Blog) - not much wetter than November. Sure you might get some really wet days but normally it's OK and there are plenty of diving options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom