Question Seeking Healthy, fishy, shallow reef July-August Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tara V

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, I am planning a 4 week trip for July/August, and have a dream wish list (like Goldilocks). I'm looking for suggestions for places with healthy reefs, plentiful fish or animals, and where shore snorkeling is a good option (and good diving, too). Availability of budget housing, and cost of getting there from NY all factor in. I'm looking at Thailand, I know that only the South East islands will be in-season then. I also have considered Sri Lanka, Fiji, Hawaii, Mozambique... I'm open to suggestions.
More info about my travel party: Two adults, two teens who are game for travel and adventure. One adult and one teen are open water certified from a great stay with Reef CI in Belize. The other adult and teen are avid snorkelers but uncertain about diving as they both have had ear issues. We will definitely spend some time doing land based treks, looking at ruins, etc., so I'm looking for access to interesting land destinations and cultural attractions too. There's a vegetarian in the group, also. 5 years ago we had a great time in Indonesia (Bali & Sumatra) so we're probably staying away from there. Covid makes me lean a bit towards places that have decent healthcare as well as places that have remained more open throughout the pandemic. Any magical suggestions outside of a time machine?

Thailand as long as the country is opened FREELY.
Not sure how accurate it is by Jul/Aug.
Stay at Koh Tao if you are interested in diving. All the sites are very near and quite shallow except couple of them(the best)!
Budget accommodation is plentiful over all the three islands.
After serving the initial 7 days in quarantine you are FREE to travel to other parts of the Kingdom(at the moment). Unfortunately thing can change very quickly.

Good luck and you need it.

Thailand as long as the country is opened FREELY.
Not sure how accurate it is by Jul/Aug.
Stay at Koh Tao if you are interested in diving. All the sites are very near and quite shallow except couple of them(the best)!
Budget accommodation is plentiful over all the three islands.
After serving the initial 7 days in quarantine you are FREE to travel to other parts of the Kingdom(at the moment). Unfortunately thing can change very quickly.

Good luck and you need it.
Thank you!!! I know traveling planning for the summer is no sure bet right now, but I'm hoping for the sake of much more than my summer plans that travel is relatively normal this summer.

Thank you!!! I know traveling planning for the summer is no sure bet right now, but I'm hoping for the sake of much more than my summer plans that travel is relatively normal this summer.
Even Philippines is going to remove most of the restrictions next month so the sign is good. But anything is possible between now and then.
The latest "Test & Go" programme(Thailand) is even better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom