Who will you select to learn scuba diving?

Who are you gonna select to learn scuba diving

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiveilat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
USA, SOUTH AMERICA, HAWAII, BAHAMAS, CHILE, ISRAEL
# of dives
You've been shaking the idea of learning to scuba dive? Excellent choice! It's an entertaining activity that will introduce you to the entire world. As you dive the many reefs and oceans.

Now! Which Scuba Diving Association Are You Gonna Select To Learn? Sends your feedback.

See where people are learning to dive?

I selected PADI. There is only one other small shop for 100 miles. For many it will come down to location only. If you're like me and interested to start scuba you wouldn't have a clue what a PADI or NAUI is.

I chose PADI as it is the more widely known organization. There is a NAUI instructor shop in my area but it is out of my way and the PADI certified shop was easier and more convenient for me. I actually went with a smaller LDS instead of the larger Sport Chalet even though the latter had their own pool.

Uh oh.... no GUE. No BSAC. No NAUI. Some people are pretty tribal...

I chose PADI because that was the agency that the shop I went through teaches for. I've since found out that my options included PADI, PADI and PADI in french, with a couple of shops teaching a small offering of SDI (specialties) and TDI classes.

NAUI.... they were the closest and easiest to work with my schedule....

Sdi. As mentioned above, it came down to availability. The Lds I now frequent is primarily SSI, and is working toward offering SDI, Padi and naui. So at this point it'll come down to what I decide to pursue next.

I selected PADI. There is only one other small shop for 100 miles. For many it will come down to location only. If you're like me and interested to start scuba you wouldn't have a clue what a PADI or NAUI is.

I agree, if someone is reading this poll, they've either already decided or it was decided for them due to availability and location.

I did not pick an Agency when my kids wanted to join me diving. I shopped for a training facility somewhere in the region (No such thing as LOCAL LDS where I am). I asked a lot of other divers, looking for the best reputation as instructors. I was not going to turn my son and daughter over to just any old yahoo, to teach this sport.

The one I chose just happened to be PADI, and I ended up driving nearly 2 1/2-3 hrs each way for classes, passing several others an hour closer, because the one I picked seemed a cut above the others when it came to quality and safety.

I trained originally in the old Y program, and while the PADI course was sure a lot shorter, and more simplified than that Y program, I sat threw every class and witnessed every dive they did with my kids, and can find extremely little to fault them on. I have even returned and taken classes with these folks, but NOT because of their agency affiliation. Because they care, and they do an excellent job.

I would pick Steve Lewis or JJ to teach me.

Let's all say it together: "It's not the agency, it's the instructor!"

Michael

Back
Top Bottom