Who trained these idiots??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only 38 posts before Godwin's Law kicks in - but you could see it coming...

Seems like wearing of the gloves, without a doctor's note would be a violation (if it occurred within the boundaries).
The boundaries extend completely around the island - there is little to no recreational level (<130') area not in the BMP - exception might be off Lac Bay on the east side since that's really shallow for a long way out. Based on the other video, it looks like they were shore diving shallower than that off one of the west side resorts. I've been there but can't place it. A lot of Bonaire reef has sort of a 2 step structure, flat out to 40+/-' then the reef rolls over and drops gradually to about 130-145' or so. At some of the south sites there's a double reef structure but even the outside of the 2nd reef probably doesn't go much deeper for a long way out. There's a tech dive on the Windjammer - that starts at 185'. I don't think they were doing it..:wink:
The Bonaire National Marine Park was established in 1979. The Park starts at the high water mark and extends to 200 ft (60 meters) of depth; it covers an area of 6672 acres, or 27 km².

I watched part of that video until I got bored. OK, they were a bunch of young adults doing some insensitive and ill-informed things. That hardly rises to the level of consternation that should be reserved for murders, pedophiles, terrorists, rapists, and mass kidnappers of school girls. Get wound up over dynamite fishing if you must and have nothing better to do.

Discuss how to explain your sensibilities to these misguided individuals if you want to talk about it. You can’t teach people to be competent divers with typical training programs. Do you really expect them to squeeze in how not to be a jerk and be stewards of the environment? Get a grip people.

You missed it----Bet you play baseball with a big hole in your glove...but, maybe that's the way it's done---over there??......

I'm not missing the back-peddling....

Getting back to the point of the OP. What surprises me is that this behaviour is successful. Evidently there are enough people willing to sign up for these dives that the operator sees profit in continuing to molest the marine life....

You know... if we want to stop "cretins-are-us" from doing this then we need to impress upon people (eg. new OW students) that they should vote with their feet with they see stuff like this happening so we take away the air supply of dubious operators.

Big question is why isn't THAT happening?

R..

Evidently there are enough people willing to sign up for these dives that the operator sees profit in continuing to molest the marine life....

You know... if we want to stop "cretins-are-us" from doing this then we need to impress upon people (eg. new OW students) that they should vote with their feet with they see stuff like this happening so we take away the air supply of dubious operators.
I didn't get the impression that "Chris the Dive Guide" was anyone other than a member of their group.

I don't think you'd catch a Bonaire guide with gloves on since they don't need them and it would affect their livelihood to get caught/fined.

It appeared that he was walking in south of Bari Reef at the public access there so there's no dive shop on-site. And tanks can be rented anywhere. Including whatever resort they were staying at.

Assuming the video was shot the same time as the other deleted one.

So, you're saying that there *is* no operator involved here?

R..

Obviously someone rented them tanks. But most dives on Bonaire - except off a dozen or so dive resorts - are off uninhabited shoreline either north or south of town. So there's no operator and no direct supervision unless you hire a private guide. Once you do your BMP orientation/checkout dive you're free to dive by yourselves at will at any site. Even off the other resorts although they appreciate it if you check in with them first.

The BMP rangers mostly check tags etc. on dive boats, maybe at shore dive sites - although we've never seen one doing that - afaik they don't usually dive. They do patrol, I've seen their vehicle parked and empty. Not sure if it was dive related since I didn't see them at the site.

Even off the resorts - that could be happening without any knowledge of the on-site operator unless it was mentioned or they saw the video. In a previous post, it was mentioned that Dive Friends might have been the operator in the first video. They would never allow that to occur with their knowledge. Most of their locations aren't even waterfront - even the ones at the resorts.

Capture.jpg

If I'm correct - this is where "Chris" entered. Just off the top left corner of the picture closest to the street is where Dive Friends Sand Dollar is located (long red-roofed buildings). Some of those earlier shots of them on the chaise lounges might've been taken at Eden Beach - the first property to the right. Wannadive is there, Bart would never condone such a thing. He's involved with reef conservation on Bonaire in some capacity.

Although after watching the video again, that's definitely Buddy Dive immediately behind the Puffer Molester. About two resorts to the left - not seen in the photo.

Last edited:
NO professional appears to have been involved.

Best I can tell, "Chris" is a CPA from Dallas, not a Bonaire dive guide.

However, based on my 60 seconds of internet research on Bonaire, the video didn't seem to show anything that was specifically prohibited (unless one assumes that a doctor's note was not attained).

Perhaps there are other regulations which didn't come up on that one site?

Feel free to spend another 60 seconds and read the free brochure distributed at dive shops and marine park orientations.

Here are the pertinent excerpts:
- "Do not wear gloves or kneepads when diving in the Bonaire National Marine Park."
- "Do not handle torment or feed marine species."
- "Do not manipulate or move marine species from their natural habitat."
- "Take only pictures and leave only bubbles."

All are tenets of BNMP policy, are clearly communicated during mandatory marine park orientation, and have been so since the marine park was founded in 1979.

R..

Correct, there is no professional dive operator involved here. This is a family of 6 diving from shore on their own, as is common and popular on Bonaire. "Chris the Dive Guide" is a self-anointed title by the family member that edited the video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom