Who to dive with in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cruise was definitely not my first choice of ways to see Coz or any other destination. That being said, it is an all expenses paid trip as a gift from one of my family members so it is hard to pass up.

Ultimately, in the end, I really do not care too much where we go and dive as long as I am diving. Trust me where ever it is it will be far better than the sub zero temp, 8 foot visibility on a good day water of the Canadian prairies!! I figured since I was looking for an operator anyway, I would try to find one that was planning a trip to (insert must dive spot here) weather permitting.

Also, my wife is certified O/W, do you think she will need her logbooks as proof or is her cert card good enough?? We both have been diving for 10 years now.

Also, my wife is certified O/W, do you think she will need her logbooks as proof or is her cert card good enough?? We both have been diving for 10 years now.

Cert card will be suficient.

Part of it as far as pickup goes depends at which pier your boat will land at. I know that when I was diving with Dive Paradise back in March, we picked up some cruise ship divers up at the Hotel Barracuda, which is just south of the Punta Lacosta pier.

I noticed a bunch of construction just south of the international pier, not sure how that impacts pickups in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old gaffer
I beg to differ as far as my experience with Scuba with Alison. Her dive master asked us where we wanted to go. I am sure they would exclude the advanced sites for the obvious safety concerns but everywhere else was wide open.

Gaffer

That may be true if you have enough folks to make up the majority on a boat, but one or two cruisers diving with a group of divers who are staying on the island won't pull that much weight.

But as I said, it's all good, especially to someone who has never been to Cozumel.

Nice thing about Alison is that she does try to take into consideration if anyone has a 'must dive' request - whether you're the majority or not. A request usually just gets put to the group, and unless anyone objects, off you go! Of course - like Gordon said - if you haven't been there before, it's all good, and any dive site in Coz will be heaven compared to what it sounds like you're used to!

We actually started up with Alison because she was more flexible with her departure times when we weren't on a ship arriving at the crack of dawn and couldn't get there by 8:30. We stuck with her after that because she's such a blast to dive with.

Here are my thoughts for what they are worth. You will be captive - more or less - to the abilities of the group you are with. And that narrows with small ops who may have divers with a range of abilities. You don't indicate what your abilities are. If they are "new", then anyone will do, pretty much. If you are hoping for a bit more dive site/time then you need to look at ops that can offer that. That means ops with many boats and departure times. To me, that means Blue Angel. If all you want to do is get wet for even 40 minutes or so, then pretty much everyone is OK. Just my opinion....

My very first diving experience in Cozumel was via a cruise ship excursion since my ex did not dive.

A couple of notes: You will pay A LOT MORE to dive if you book thru the cruise line, and the tips for your divemasters are not included.

As mentioned above, most ALL dive sites in Cozumel are awesome. Your divemaster will take you where the conditions are best for your particular day. Usually you cannot go wrong with Paradise, the Columbia reef system or Palancar. Ask your divemaster.

I have seen Sand Dollar groups underwater on several dives. I would not recommend them.

Deep XT Sea and Deep Exposure will pick you up from the cruise pier, I believe. Blue Angel also takes cruise divers. Scuba Mau is new and they are excellent. Check to see if they will pick you up from the pier. As stated above, taxis are plentiful and easy to catch to most dive operators on the island.

With a bit of advanced planning, you can pay a lot less and get in some great dives while your ship is in port.

You will be captive - more or less - to the abilities of the group you are with.

Not really a problem as I am first captive to diving with my wife who is an O/W beginner to intermediate diver.

You don't indicate what your abilities are.

I am a registered DM with PADI however, as I said above, I may as well be a novice O/W diver as my wife would kill me if I went to another group and left her alone with strangers.

If you are hoping for a bit more dive site/time then you need to look at ops that can offer that. That means ops with many boats and departure times. To me, that means Blue Angel. If all you want to do is get wet for even 40 minutes or so, then pretty much everyone is OK. Just my opinion....

I have heard some unimpressive stories as well about larger operators who dive on a "schedule". One person told me that the dive was planned for exactly 1 hour regardless of how much air everyone had left. He went on to say they were forced to surface despite the fact everyone had 1500-2500 PSI!!! :soapbox:

I contacted Scuba with Allison but she is fully booked on the day we are arriving. She suggested I contact Scuba with Christina. Has anyone heard about her???

Deep XT Sea and Deep Exposure will pick you up from the cruise pier, I believe.

I think you mean Blue XT Sea and no, we don't pick up at the ship piers...no one is allowed to do that.

If diving from a cruise ship, your meeting point for the dive boat will be determined by which pier your ship is docking at, as well as who you are diving with. It's usually the easiest for cruise ship passengers to meet their boat at the marina.

December 06 we did a cruise, just figuring it was a bigger live-aboard: Cayman, Mahahual, Belize, and Cozumel. Dove all ports. With the exception of Belize, I made my own arrangements...the cruise line generally books cattle boats, and Belize was proof. The only reason for using the cruise line's operator in Belize is because you have to tender out so far from shore...didn't want to take chances.

In Cayman, did Stingray City, Mahahual's gone, unfortunately, but in Coz, dove with Blue XT Sea. Worked out fantastic...great crew, great dive sites, small boat (6-pack), and Christie runs a very professional operation.

Just make sure not to take your dive knife when you gear off the ship; you won't be able to return on board with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom