Who To Dive with, Hawaii on manta dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did this dive in 2005 with Jack's. There were at least 12 mantas there that night. Words of advice, overweight a lot, the turbulence will pick you right off the bottom. Our dive briefing said don't touch the mantas. THEIR dive briefing included no such instructions!

I agree with the added weight but who do you mean when you say "THIER"? Big Island Divers were pretty emphatic about the no-touch policy to us divers and to the PDV's (snorklers).

Dave

I agree with the added weight but who do you mean when you say "THIER"?
If his dive was anything like mine, he meant the manta's briefing said nothing about not touching divers!:blinking:

P10104721.jpg
P1010449.jpg

I went with Jack's the Sunday before Thanksgiving, '04. Ours was the only boat (eel garden cove), swell was signifigant, as was my weight belt. Boat was not full, enough manta's to be one of my most exciting dive memories.

I just got back from a couple days of Kona diving. I did it with Capt Jack's.....good outfit, great crews, crowded boats, for sure. At the Manta site, there are many other boats with divers in the water, so it probably doesn't matter who you go with that night! (We got skunked, by the way, the night I was there!! Just my luck!!")

Visibility was fabulous, probably over 100' every day. I wore a 3/2 and glad to have the full suit. On the night manta dive I WISH I had brought my hood....don't laugh, you sit for 40 minutes not moving much.

Took my non-diver girlfriend to the state park near Capt Cook refuge and it is phenomenal snorkeling......turtles and 100 ft vis there, too. Very nice.

Yes it is very nice! Post it again!

Big Island Divers has my vote!
I know I posted this before but too bad, I like it!

I mean you scuba drew...

... also diving on Maui, other than Molokikni, where are the decent dives? Will there be whales in Hawaii in April?

Molokini is definitely the most advertised dive destination on Maui... but diving off the coast of Lanai is highly recommended, and gives Molokini a run for its money! Lanai has many dives sites which offer lava tubes, caverns, archways, and lots of rare and uncommon species of reef fish! Extended Horizons runs daily scuba charters from Maui over to Lanai. They're located in west Maui, leaving from the Mala boat ramp, in Lahaina.

If you're not into another boat dive, then Maui shore diving is an excellent choice - lots-o-turtles and macro critters. I just had a great dive/snorkel at Kapalua bay where I saw many octopus, several turtles and a special treat... a flying gurnard!

Also as a beach dive, Black Rock is one of the best night dives on the planet - absolutely on my 'must see' list! Lobster, crabs, hunting eels... love it!

Hope this helps!

yes! we saw a flying gurnard on Kona!
told a local, and he said the same " rare treat!"
try shore diving on Kona! it's inexpensive and easy. try "mile marker 4" , "puako" , and "place of refuge (two step)" all are easy (relatively) to navigate,and have many different things to see (frogfish,shark,dolphin,caverns,arches,skylights,etc,etc,etc)!!!
we (two divers) rented 4 tanks, weights and a 10 fill card (tanks also come full) for just over $200 from Big Island Divers.. that's like $18 a dive! SWEET!
they will also turn you on to where to dive,etc...
check it out!

I went with Jack's Diving Locker on two night manta dives. If you want to learn a little bit more about what you are swimming with, Keller Laros is the guy to go with. All of the DMs/guides know the manta quite well, but he is one of the co-founders of the Manta Pacific Research Foundation; Manta Pacific Research Foundation He was one of my guides through out my 5 days UW. Although all the dive ops on Kona are pretty good, JDL gets my vote; great (new) big boat, excellent service, good crew, that became my friends. I'm already planning my next dive vacation there... :D

I agree with the added weight but who do you mean when you say "THIER"? Big Island Divers were pretty emphatic about the no-touch policy to us divers and to the PDV's (snorklers).

Dave

I was referring to the mantas. I was bumped several times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom