Who To Dive with, Hawaii on manta dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Going to Hawaii in April, want to dive with Mantas at the Big Island also diving on Maui, other than Molokikni, where are the decent dives? Will there be whales in Hawaii in April?

Going to Hawaii in April, want to dive with Mantas at the Big Island also diving on Maui, other than Molokikni, where are the decent dives? Will there be whales in Hawaii in April?
you need to post this over on the Hawaii board.

We had a good night Manta dive with Kona Honu divers. Other dives we did around Kona were fairly boring compared to Fiji, Palau, Maldives, and Tonga.

There may be a few whales left in April, but I think most will have left by then. I have, on more than one occasion, seen one cruising off Waikiki as late as Memorial Day though!

I don't know if you will see any whales in April. I dove with Big Island Divers and will use them again witout hesitation. I prefer the smaller boats. I hear Jacks Diving is good but when I saw how many divers they had on thier boat, I was glad I chose BID.

Dave

I did the dive with Jacks.
They were crowded, but very good. They even videotaped the dive for us and we have a wonderful copy of it at home. That alone was worth diving with them.
As far as the crowds: Even if you are on an uncrowded boat, by the time the Mantas arrive there will be 50+ divers in the water from various operations anyhow.
The good news is , the Mantas don't seem to mind.
I enjoyed all of the diving in Kona. Very consistant vis. We are going back in Dec. I'll let you know if we come up with any new info that may help.....

I did the dive with Jacks.
They were crowded, but very good. They even videotaped the dive for us and we have a wonderful copy of it at home. That alone was worth diving with them...

Big Island Divers uses a videographer as well. For me, I shot my own tape.

the manta dive is one where more divers in the water is good. The lights each boat brings and all the divers lights, are what attracts the plankton, which is what attracts the mantas.

Big Island Divers uses a videographer as well. For me, I shot my own tape.

We did this dive in 2005 with Jack's. There were at least 12 mantas there that night. Words of advice, overweight a lot, the turbulence will pick you right off the bottom. Our dive briefing said don't touch the mantas. THEIR dive briefing included no such instructions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom