Who should use a CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ach, who gives a rat's bum what other people think? I bought a rebreather because there are dives I want to make where (I believe) the CCR is the optimal tool. In the meantime, to get better on the unit, I'm making dives that I could easily do on OC, but make on CCR, because exposure = opportunities to improve. If folks want to to think I'm precious for making a 60-foot foot wreck dive on a CCR in the meantime, they're welcome to do so. Provided one is diving the unit safely, within the limits of their training, and not inconveniencing an entire dive boat, then I say dive using whatever configuration you want. If your idea of a good time is using a JJ with "Sea Hunt"-style fins and a neoprene tiara hood on a 30-foot reef bimble, then do it. (And take a picture, because I really want to see that.)

No one should be diving rebreather but me and maybe a small handful of other people. I am the only person with the discipline and the right attitude to be able to pilot the machine appropriately for the mission-specific dives I use it.

It isn't, in any way, effectively just a toy for a completely pointless hobby that I simply enjoy because it's comfortable and makes my pastime fun and generally makes me happy. It's important life support that you have to be bad-ass to be able to use.

Don't forget that it makes you feel like you're diving with Darth Vader :)

I have been diving a CCR for almost 10 years. I originally bought it because I was doing a fair amount of deep air and Trimix dives. My work circumstances changed almost immediately afterwards. My original intention had been to take it easy for a year as I built experience before returning to my original diving.

This didn't happen for a number of reasons, not least was work!
However, I have had 10 years of enjoyable CCR diving. Occasionally, I dive OC, mainly when instructing, or away on some holidays.

I don't really understand the statement use the right tool for the job. Yes, there are some additional risks to CCR, but then if you where that risk averse, you wouldn't dive!.
By diving CCR for the majority of my diving, I keep my skills honed for the occasional deeper dives.

Just enjoy it! How many people do you see with a twin-set on a 20m dive!

Gareth

The correct answer is...Everyone!

(so they get cheaper and better)
1000 likes for you.
Or one, dang board software.

I am really enjoying my rebreather. I find the technical aspects fascinating and I like the challenge of the new skills and protocols. I like long dives with warm gas. I like having extra time underwater to deal with some problems. I like not having to haul two sets of double 119s around, with two trips each week in the season to a dive shop in midtown traffic.

All of these reasons are very good reasons to use a rebreather on a dive that otherwise could be done on open circuit. I use my rebreather for cave diving, and although it does come with some extra risks, it also comes with a lot of options for managing problems that can arise in overhead. It's really nice to not have to be looking at a SPG when trying to sort out a problem.

You know where else I use my rebreather? Everywhere I can. Sure I get some looks on a recreational charter when I am toting my rebreather. I don't care. Fish react differently when I'm on the loop. I have nice warm moist air to breathe. I love the silence of it all. I also like that I am fully self reliant while on my rebreather. Let people have their opinions. They aren't hurting my feelings!

I stepped away from technical diving about 16 years ago when my first child was born. (My last technical dive was November 2000.) And these days I really, really relish rec diving using simple, robust gear and an old-school approach.

Still, if I didn't have three dependent daughters, I would learn CCR diving in a heartbeat! I would learn CCR tri-mix diving. Not to cave dive (which I don't particularly like), nor necessarily to dive *really* deep, nor to do decompression dives, but to simply learn and dive CCR's. And to tinker with them, 'cause I love tinkering with stuff. (There, I said it!)

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom