Who should use a CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It matters because a ccr divers computer is monitoring the loop in real time.

A "1.2" (or whatever) isn't a perfect 1.2 the entire dive.
But it is on OC? Not all rebreathers use active cell monitoring. Active cell monitoring has only been the norm in the last few years. Your argument keeps getting more and more specific. I'll just concede that you're right and I'm wrong.

But it is on OC? Not all rebreathers use active cell monitoring. Active cell monitoring has only been the norm in the last few years. Your argument keeps getting more and more specific. I'll just concede that you're right and I'm wrong.

Are you guys really arguing this?

Consider just for a moment that it isn't the CCR or OC "that gets you out of the water quicker"...it's the average PPO2, gases, and profile. - Which you can optimize in both OC and CCR, it's just easier to do in CCR.

If you are never going to dive a rebreather, that's cool - no matter what your reasons. We (rebreather divers) respect that. However, justifying your reasons over and over is getting tiresome. We get it. You don't like rebreathers and don't want to dive one.

But some of us love rebreather diving and have equally good reasons for doing it. But I guess that doesn't play to the fears and assumptions.

The rebreather is not trying to kill you. It is not alive, nor does it have the ability to form malicious intent. LUF.

Correct, its not. But the argument is that ccr results in less deco due to the constant setpoint. As we can see with active cell monitoring via something like a Shearwater, the advantage really isn't there in practice.

Correct, its not. But the argument is that ccr results in less deco due to the constant setpoint. As we can see with active cell monitoring via something like a Shearwater, the advantage really isn't there in practice.

Relating to Deco ONLY - CCRs have a definite advantage on multilevel dives. While, in general, OC tend to have the advantage on square profiles since they'll likely to employ the most efficient gases throughout the profile - but the deco advantage is negligible and is far outweighed by the other advantages of CCRs in my opinion. See my reply above.

CCRs have a definite advantage on multilevel dives. While, in general, OC tend to have the advantage on square profiles since they'll likely to employ the most efficient gases throughout the profile - but the deco advantage is negligible and is far outweighed by the other advantages of CCRs in my opinion. See my reply above.
All these dives I'm talkin about are multi level. 210-290'.

Maybe the advantage is more pronounced when shallower?

All these dives I'm talkin about are multi level. 210-290'.

Maybe the advantage is more pronounced when shallower?

Like I said, it's all about average PPO2. In a multilevel dive, If your OC backgas PPO2 averages out to around 1.3 for the bottom portion of the dive then we'll be about the same. However, if you're carrying gas that will give you 1.4 for a deep excursion but we spend the majority of the dive at a shallower depth you'll be running a less than optimal mix and your average PPO2 will be less than mine and my deco will be more efficient.

In practice, however, when I dive in mixed teams we typically have about the same deco schedule because they are carrying the most efficient bottom and deco gas (as a trade off their logistics is more complicated) and their turn pressure dictates the dive - even though I could spend hours longer in the water. Which is the real benefit of CCRs - BOTTOM TIME

Like I said, it's all about average PPO2. In a multilevel dive, If your OC backgas PPO2 averages out to around 1.3 for the bottom portion of the dive then we'll be about the same. However, if you're carrying gas that will give you 1.4 for a deep excursion but we spend the majority of the dive at a shallower depth you'll be running a less than optimal mix and your average PPO2 will be less than mine and my deco will be more efficient.

In practice, however, when I dive in mixed teams we typically have about the same deco schedule because they are carrying the most efficient bottom and deco gas (as a trade off their logistics is more complicated) and their turn pressure dictates the dive - even though I could spend hours longer in the water. Which is the real benefit of CCRs - BOTTOM TIME

Yeah. I know...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom