Who should use a CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just caught this. Nothing academic about it. This is my real world experience from about a dozen years on rebreathers. I was also OC trimix instructor before I discovered rebreathers so I believe I may be qualified to make that observation.
In those dozen years were both divers using the same computers with the same gradient factors?

In those dozen years were both divers using the same computers with the same gradient factors?
In those dozen years I was cutting tables using desktop software with both CCR and bailout profiles running concurrently. The algorithm has varied from GAP (GF Buhlmann), Abyss (RGBM), v-planner (VPM) over the years but always comparing apples to apples.

In those dozen years I was cutting tables using desktop software with both CCR and bailout profiles running concurrently. The algorithm has varied from GAP (GF Buhlmann), Abyss (RGBM), v-planner (VPM) over the years but always comparing apples to apples.
Its not comparing them in real time on real dives. That's the point I'm trying to make. On paper yes there's a difference. In the water not so much.

Its not comparing them in real time on real dives. That's the point I'm trying to make. On paper yes there's a difference. In the water not so much.
what difference does being in the water make? What computer are you using? I use a shearwater and when I am training trimix divers I have a backup set to what the student is breathing on bailout as my students always have to do a deep bailout during training. That way I monitor their bailout profile on my computer You can believe what you want based on your experience diving with a rebreather buddy but I can assure you a properly executed rebreather tech dive will always result in less deco for the RB diver. I can't speak for a couple of guys just farting around in the water.

my experience is the same on rb80. deco is normally a bit faster than the ccr guys. AJ has more experience in this arena than me though because he's a stroke

what difference does being in the water make? What computer are you using? I use a shearwater and when I am training trimix divers I have a backup set to what the student is breathing on bailout as my students always have to do a deep bailout during training. That way I monitor their bailout profile on my computer You can believe what you want based on your experience diving with a rebreather buddy but I can assure you a properly executed rebreather tech dive will always result in less deco for the RB diver. I can't speak for a couple of guys just farting around in the water.

incorrect

I had 15mins less than Schulte yesterday at d2 so I dunno about that :)

I'm not a great benchmark because I'm a wuss who runs 35/80 and 1.0 working / 1.4 deco. Maybe one day I'll be a 95/95 1.4 / 1.6 superhero.

It matters because a ccr divers computer is monitoring the loop in real time.

A "1.2" (or whatever) isn't a perfect 1.2 the entire dive. Also dil flushes or not is a factor.

I'm not a great benchmark because I'm a wuss who runs 35/80 and 1.0 working / 1.4 deco. Maybe one day I'll be a 95/95 1.4 / 1.6 superhero.
I was on 40/80 with a 0.9 on the bottom. I do get a 1.6 on gas switches but that tapers off quickly except for oxygen of course.

The deco benefits of ccr are just oversold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom