Who sells Atlas gloves in North East?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:dork2: After ordering from Seattle Marine I find out that Nelson's in Gloucester has 620 and 660 gloves in stock. They are open on Saturdays as well. Phone: (978) 283-5675

I should have piped up sooner, but you probably did okay with the cheaper price at Seattle Marine, depending on how many you bought and their current shipping charge. The last time I bought Atlas gloves in Gloucester they ran about $5.50 a pair, IIRC.

I bought a bunch of 660's from New England Marine in Gloucester because it was helpful to compare sizes in the store. What I found was the Atlas 660's, which are not sized for liners, have significantly thinner fingers and will run almost 2 sizes smaller than the same size in the Atlas 495's, which are sized for wearing a liner inside. That's probably not news to you, since it sounds like you've used 660's before.

When I wear a standard yellow polyester liner, the Atlas 660 XXL approximates the fit of the 495 Large. Unfortunately, even though the 660 palm circumference is a pretty similar fit, the narrowness of the fingers can be a little tight when wearing anything but thin liners, especially when gripping something.

In the winter, when I'm doubling up my liners, I stick with the Atlas 495 for the fatter fingers, sometimes even going to XL which are quite oversized for my 7.5-sized hands. They can be a little sloppy for dexterity at times, especially when inflated from reaching upward. With normal squeeze, the dexterity is fine, IMO. The loose fit of the 495, especially of the fingers, makes them very warm.... I like to be REAL warm! :wink:

Dave C

Last edited:
Thanks Dave for the comment about sizing.

You really have to try each type of gloves with the desired liner. Assuming that another type glove will fit in the same size can lead to unpleasant surprises. That's where a local supplier comes in handy.

I went to Nelson's yesterday and paid $3.98 for a pair of 620s - after my instructor made me dive to the Chester Poling in a 7mil wetsuit in 41F water because of a missing, effing drysuit specialty.

Nelson's also carries glove liners, Polypropylene underwear, fleece and polartec garments, socks, etc. Very well stocked store and nice people.

I went to Nelson's yesterday and paid $3.98 for a pair of 620s - after my instructor made me dive to the Chester Poling in a 7mil wetsuit in 41F water because of a missing, effing drysuit specialty.

What was his rationale? Are you brand-new to drysuit diving? I hope he doesn't think a course is needed to learn a few simple safety techniques for diving dry.... :confused:

With such good prices, I'll have to go back to Nelson's! :)

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom