Who Repairs Oxycheq Wings Between Bellingham and Seattle (Inclusive)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, When rinsing the inside of the bladder and wing...
I had an Oxycheq Wing that had the exhaust elbow insert fitting (on/in the wing)
come off with/in the outside elbow fitting.
In other words the male threaded
fitting that the exhaust elbow ring and gasket screws onto (wing side) has come off contained in the gasketed elbow fitting. (Whew...hope that's clear enough).

Two questions please:
l. Can the two fittings be separtated with the usual shop B.C. tool/hooked wrench or will
I need to purchase a whole new elbow/insert/male,female assembly?
I've had this particular repair done once before and an Oceanic insert was used in place of the old Oxy one but it was deemed to be the same (OME?) part...

2. The bladder looks like there's nothing on it (except a gasket on the bladder itself)
to screw the insert fitting to the bladder. Once things dry off a little, I'll open up the wing and feel around for any additional (missing) fitting.

I'll take it down to my LDS later or tomorrow, but in case I ever need proprietary
Oxycheq parts and someone who's familiar with them, I'd like to know who in
the Bellingham to Seattle area commonly repairs Oxycheq Wings. The further north
the more convenient.
Does anyone, by chance know if Samish Divers does repairs or is sales only?

The bottom line is that I'd like to avoid going wingless and having to ship it back to
Oxycheq in Fla. Now or with any future repairs.

Thanks. I've looked online for "internal" schematics of how the innermost fitting
is afixed to the exhaust hole in the bladder. Guess I need to find a B.C. tool
and repair mentor locally.

Thanks!

Anybody with the BC wrenches and the knowledge to use them should be able to help you. It can be a challenge to install these fittings if you are unaccustomed to working on them. You want to be careful to get the grommet in correctly.

This exactly why I recommend against unscrewing any fittings on any wing. It's easy to flush out and drain a wing without disturbing any of the fittings.

If you need to flush out the wing or valve look here:

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1301

Tobin

Thank you Tobin. I thought it was likely a "universal" B.C. issue. I'll see what my LDS can do, then.

You've got a sale! If you still have the needed info. from my last purchase charge it and send it out. If not, PM me and I'll give you a call or email.
I'm the guy who bought the inflator and asked a "few" questions :-0

By the way, I want to say here, that i use Tobin's backplate with that (ahem) other wing. Excellent gear.
Thanks again.

Jim,

I reread your first post more carefully. You face two problems:

First you need to remove the "Double nut" from the OPV "Cage", the inflator wrenches will not help with this problem.

I would suggest that you soak the OPV in warm fresh water, and then force the assembly down hard on a nonslip pad while turning the OPV cage. The tacky cloths sold for opening food jars work well.

Once you extract the "Double Nut" from the cage, and recover the inner "T Nut" and grommet you can use the BC tools to tighten the "double nut" onto the "T Nut".

BTW, we make our our BC fitting, and include a large hex on the bottom of the "Double Nut" to allow easy disassembly in this exact circumstance.

If you can't get the "Double Nut out of the "T Nut" you may need to buy a new OPV assembly.

Good luck,

Tobin

Thanks Tobin. That worked perfectly. Thank you! Now that I know what "it looks like in there"
I'll know what to expect. The loose part did fall into the bladder. Thanks to dear ol' Mom, who prosteletized about them to anyone who'd listen, I had one (hundred) on hand :)
I have more of those jar opener pads than the average human. I use them on those sleek when wet Atomic DIN collars too.

That was a relief as I had visions of no diving for a couple of weeks, etc. Or having to swap out all the hoses for my singles rig.

Let me know if you need any additional info. for the flush valve order. I appreciate your help.
Had my LDS look it over and have them educate me too.
Anacortes Diving and Supply (Bob and Kelley) are good people and a great shop for when you folks are diving up this way or using the charter boats out of Anacortes and need something.

Jim T.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom