Oxycheq Wing LOW Reliability!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cipherbreak

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all. Today I was diving my OxyCheq 30# wing. During the surface swim back from a dive I discovered could not keep air in the wing. Once I got back to shore and took off the BC, I discovered the bladder flange that connects the inflator hose elbow to the bladder broke off at the base of the threads.

I was able to find the replacement parts on DGX. I am planning to repair the wing because it is in excellent condition otherwise; however, after searching the board, I discovered a number of incidents of this same part or of the exhaust dump valve flange:

- I was told I may have dropped it
- Replacement parts for Inflator to Bladder

I am worried about the reliability of this vital component. I am very, very careful with my gear, how I maintain it and store it. I don't know what would have caused that part to break during the dive but clearly I don't want it to happen again. Because I primarily dive my DSS warm water wing, this wing was hardly used--it has maybe a max of 10 dives.

Please peruse the other threads for context.

Based on the facts, do you think I should get a different wing?

I have had nothing but good experiences with my OxyCheq MachV wings... As with any, you can have issues. I was unlucky with my first HOG wing, but the company stood behind it. It really is about how you are treated if/when there is an issue...

I’ve never had a problem with either of my Oxycheq wings.

7 plus years on my 30 with a lot of less than delicate handling at times. Still looks and dives like new. Of course no gear is indestructible.

The only trouble I've had with either of my OxyCheq wings was when I disconnected the inflator flange and didn't notice I'd lost the gasket ("O-ring" with a square cross section) and tried to dive. That was 100% on me. The wings and hardware have been rock solid.

I have 1500+ dives on my OxyCheq Mach V, I drag it down the cement sidewalk from the rinse bin to the drying rack. I throw it off the boat next to the car. I've replaced the inflator button 10 times for leaking cause I don't always rinse it. But the wing is still in perfect condition and never lets me down. The scuba police would arrest me for how much abuse I give it !!

Only great experience with mine and what I’ve seen.....

Are you saying the retaining nut for the inflation elbow broke?

You could switch wings if you want, but that's a pretty standard part (as noted in at least one of the other threads you linked above) so I doubt that would help much. I have an oxycheq wing that I bought used in around 2004, put a few hundred dives on it now, and never had any issues. I replaced the inflator at one point because it was corroded (my fault, put it away without rinsing it) but other than that it's been a great wing.

I have the Oxycheq 57 dual bladder doubles wing ... only problems I've seen were incorrect reassembly by the PO where the double gasket was not installed to straddle the inside of the bladder and the outside of the cover.

That style of bladder flange assembly was pretty standard on a number of manufacturers' wings.

Damage could simply be the result of over-tightening or impact.

In your case, IF the original parts were somehow weak/defective, you have replaced them.

That said, always having a contingency plan for dealing with a loss of primary buoyancy is important.

@cipherbreak :

You and I belong to the minority on this. The same happened to my Oxy42 doubles wing, fortunately, as I was cleaning the wing. Bought replacement parts from DGX and installed into bladder. Did not experience any further issues with the wing after this.

O.

Back
Top Bottom