Who Makes The Best Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't listen to any of these people! The model, manufacturers, and reasons are as follows:
Mod. - Gills
Mfg. - several species
Reason - they work at most all depths

I don't have a full set yet but I'm working on getting them. I just cannot find many dealers out there. If anyone runs across a dealer please let me know.

Thanks,
Plumb

Oh, I have only heard about these! I'm not sure they are the best, and I'm also not sure of the mfg. to go with. Let me know also if you have heard.

This thread has obviously peaked the interest of the "Scuba Doobies" not much substance in most of the responses. Thanks for your analytical approach squidster that was the constructive feedback I was looking for. I have owned two brands of regs, Sherwood and Atomic. There is a big difference between my first regulator and the Atomics I own today. I have used the T1x and T2 for Recreational diving, B2 for cold water diving, SS1 ti for Safe Second, and the M1 for my redundant pony bottle. I was hopping to find someone who had experience with Atomic and the other brands that Squidster named and could give an unbiased opinion on their experiences. I also thought that I would get some opinions on the use of titanium in the parts and the benefits of its corrosive resistance to salt water and the 2 year service interval. After all, when my life depends on a piece of equipment, I like to know that I have given myself the best odds possible. I think most would agree that jumping out of a perfectly good airplane increases your odds of becoming a statistic.

I also thought that I would get some opinions on the use of titanium in the parts and the benefits of its corrosive resistance to salt water and the 2 year service interval.

Titanium is resistant to corrosion, but so is plated brass. Titanium is also very good at burning in the presence of oxygen.
The two year service interval is primarily a marketing ploy. Almost any regulator can actually go two years between service operations. Manufacturers set the recommended service intervals well short of the mean anticipated time between failures to make sure that failures do not happen.

Jeez, I almost rose to the bait, O.K., I own three, ti atomics. Best? Best I have owned.

Captain Kirk,

Many things will burn in the presents of pure Oxygen. I am sure someone has won the Darwin award testing the theory. The plating is to keep the brass from corroding, when you ding the plating, the corrosion starts. I guess you just like controversy.

I have owned two brands of regs, Sherwood and Atomic. There is a big difference between my first regulator and the Atomics I own today.

What "big difference" did you find?

Was it cost/benefit?

Was it low breathing effort?

High volume of air delivered, especially when deeper than recreational depths?

Tolerance of silty conditions?

Cost of professional servicing? Reliability of that servicing?

DIY servicing considerations, such as in-field servicing, parts availability, length of service interval actually needed?

Unlikelihood of the 1st stage to freeze in freshwater below 40 degrees?

Objective comparisons of any of the above?

I also thought that I would get some opinions on the use of titanium in the parts and the benefits of its corrosive resistance to salt water and the 2 year service interval. After all, when my life depends on a piece of equipment, I like to know that I have given myself the best odds possible.

To know whether you've given yourself the best odds possible would require objective information and testing, not subjective opinions, I think.

How about providing the specifics about why you found a "big difference" so we have something to work with?

That will make it easier to provide meaningful feedback. :)

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom