Who knows Apeks stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, someone who doesn't service scubapros properly or have the service manuals (in their myriads) to hand. Tell me, how do YOU access the balance and anti-set mechanisms and replace the underlying o-ring on the cracking effort adjustment knob on an s600 without removing the decal or do you just remove it and forget about it (like the manuals) or perhaps you just don't do that bit of the service and wonder why you've got an o-ring left in the service kit when you're done?

Yes, you are right,when I service a S600 I put in the end a new decal on the adjusting knob.That also happens much more often when I have to change or replace the decals on the purge button of the R190 or on the Aqualung Titan 1st stage.

This is why I have always enough decals in stock.

So what?:wink:

Diver0001, anyone that really understands regulators would advise you that there's no reason to replace your legend, unless it's broken in some way and can't be repaired. Regulators made in 2005 are NOT old. Regulators have not improved since then, they don't wear out (unless they're abused) and with all due respect to your wife, there's no reason at all to replace them because they're 'old'. There absolutely is no 'safety' reason to get a new regulator. All the working parts that wear are replaced at rebuild.

I could afford any regulator I want, and I choose to use regulators far older than 2005, even though I have some more recent ones sitting in my closet. Most of new regulator sales is based on hype and marketing, not on any actual 'need' to replace older gear.

Spend the money on a nice gift for her instead.

Yes, you are right,when I service a S600 I put in the end a new decal on the adjusting knob.That also happens much more often when I have to change or replace the decals on the purge button of the R190 or on the Aqualung Titan 1st stage.

This is why I have always enough decals in stock.

So what?:wink:

Yeah, quality gear that - stick on decals as part of a service :shakehead:. Almost as high quality as the "semen-drip" shuttle and the plastic orifice or plastic-bonded-to-metal cylinder. Pulling apart Scubapros of the same model but different ages is a history lesson in reducing cost/quality but maintaining margin and RRP.

Diver0001, anyone that really understands regulators would advise you that there's no reason to replace your legend, unless it's broken in some way and can't be repaired. Regulators made in 2005 are NOT old. Regulators have not improved since then, they don't wear out (unless they're abused) and with all due respect to your wife, there's no reason at all to replace them because they're 'old'. There absolutely is no 'safety' reason to get a new regulator. All the working parts that wear are replaced at rebuild.

I could afford any regulator I want, and I choose to use regulators far older than 2005, even though I have some more recent ones sitting in my closet. Most of new regulator sales is based on hype and marketing, not on any actual 'need' to replace older gear.

Spend the money on a nice gift for her instead.

Just to be clear. I have no intention of replacing the legend. I intend to replace the impulse and the calypso. The legend will be given a new role in life, that's all.

That said, I'm not decided yet if I'm going to sell two and buy two new regs or just one new one. What I want to do is re-kit the legend for my daughter (rebuild and new hoses) but my wife still needs more massage to warm up to that idea. She doesn't understand how good the legend is and she's still on a mind-set that if something is new then it must be better.

The up side to this is that I get to spend some money this year without having to justify it. How many other people's wifes are *insisting* on them spending money on gear LOL :D

R..

Yeah, quality gear that - stick on decals as part of a service :shakehead:. Almost as high quality as the "semen-drip" shuttle and the plastic orifice or plastic-bonded-to-metal cylinder. Pulling apart Scubapros of the same model but different ages is a history lesson in reducing cost/quality but maintaining margin and RRP.

Man, what’s your point?

You think by bashing in general a brand which has not been part of the original discussion your beloved APEKS regulators become better than a Legend or this APEKS 2nd stage ‘design flaw’ disappears?

I think I could point out a couple of ‘design flaws’ in Scubapro regulators, and actually I did in other threads and did not make friends in this forum with that, but that was not the issue here.

My experience in this forum is that people who really understand regulator technique and have a profound experience in repairing and servicing those, don’t make themselves look limited by bashing in general a certain brand they don’t like.:wink:

My experience in this forum is that people who really understand regulator technique and have a profound experience in repairing and servicing those, don’t make themselves look limited by bashing in general a certain brand they don’t like.:wink:

That's a common theme on all the gear forums. People often recommend what they have and recommend against (and/or slag off) things they don't have. I'm used to it.

The funny thing about that is if you think about it, how can someone have an opinion about gear that they don't own or use.... and yet people fall for it every time.

But I digress. The fact is Scubapro isn't on the list. Not because of anything I read here but just because the shop where I can get a keyman discount doesn't carry them.

R..

The point is that you seized on a supposed "design flaw" that isn't one if you actually know what you're doing when servicing them, even just reading the Apeks service manual would give you that insight.

My counter point is that such "flaws" are not unique to Apeks and they pale into insignificance in when you compare the build quality of Apeks with supposed high-end brands such as Scubapro. Even Chinese-made copies of Apeks, such as IST, are built of better materials than any scubapro.

You think by bashing in general a brand which has not been part of the original discussion your beloved APEKS regulators become better than a Legend or this APEKS 2nd stage ‘design flaw’ disappears?

Nope, never said Apeks was better than a Legend (you do know they're made in the same factory, right?), simply pointing out that your "profound" knowledge of regulators and servicing doesn't extend to even simple procedural points and therefore doesn't really qualify you for pointing out "design flaws".

So pointing out "design flaws" isn't "bashing" and your "profound" knowledge doesn't need to follow procedures (so simple they're even done in pictures)? You're one weird kid; Zen and the Art of Regulator Servicing instead of qualifications, knowledge, experience, and manufacturer's procedures :rofl3:"

The point is that you seized on a supposed "design flaw" that isn't one if you actually know what you're doing when servicing them, even just reading the Apeks service manual would give you that insight.

Well, okay then it is no 'design flaw' and there is definitely nothing to improve on that design if you think so.

My counter point is that such "flaws" are not unique to Apeks and they pale into insignificance in when you compare the build quality of Apeks with supposed high-end brands such as Scubapro. Even Chinese-made copies of Apeks, such as IST, are built of better materials than any scubapro.

Speaking about the inferior materials of 'any Scubapro' regulator against Chinese APEKS copies I'm sure that now some shocked owners of their SP Pilots, Balanced Adjustables, D - Series, G250, MK25 - MK10 -15 and others would like to see you backing up your insights to find out what went wrong when they decided to purchase those regulators.

Nope, never said Apeks was better than a Legend (you do know they're made in the same factory, right?), simply pointing out that your "profound" knowledge of regulators and servicing doesn't extend to even simple procedural points and therefore doesn't really qualify you for pointing out "design flaws".

Seems you doubt my profound knowledge, well seems I have to live with it.:cool2:

So pointing out "design flaws" isn't "bashing" and your "profound" knowledge doesn't need to follow procedures (so simple they're even done in pictures)? You're one weird kid; Zen and the Art of Regulator Servicing instead of qualifications, knowledge, experience, and manufacturer's procedures :rofl3:"

That seems to be the beginning of a great friendship, was always looking for someone with who I can have some sophisticated, objective discussions.:)

The up side to this is that I get to spend some money this year without having to justify it. How many other people's wifes are *insisting* on them spending money on gear LOL :D

R..

Well, that is an upside, and you should take advantage by getting a 'new' doublehose regulator, like the argonaut from vintagedoublehose.com, or a rebuilt phoenix royal aquamaster. This idea is appealing for three reasons:

1. You can spend lots of money....doublehose regs are not cheap.
2. You can shock your wife by showing her your new regulator as it appears to be something from the 60s...kind of like being sent to buy a new car and coming home with a restored 1960 mercedes convertible.
3. You'll actually be getting something quite a bit different than your current gear and may find yourself really enjoying diving with a doublehose. It's a very different experience. No bubbles in your face, no drymouth, no mouthpiece or hose fatigue. There are some advantages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom