Who Keeps Trashing My Island????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
I go down by the water almost every day. I end up picking up trash at the same sites over and over. Who keeps trashing my island???? This 'disrespect' really annoys me, how about you? They should be ashamed of themselves!!

63435_1630460594924_1038890729_1708970_2775264_n.jpg

155894_1630459794904_1038890729_1708969_514306_n.jpg

Same thing here on Catalina. We get about 800,000 visitors to a small town about two square miles in size and given the tourism-based economy and water conservation issues, there is far too much disposable trash that gets created.

Game Spy D-55IR

Quick View
The Moultrie Game Spy D-55IR Digital Game Camera offers clear photos – color during the day and infrared at night – with resolutions of up to 5.0 megapixels, or less if you want to save space on your SD card, it accepts up to a 16GB card. Rapid response time gets you the shot while your target is in view. The 50-foot flash ensures you can see your subject clearly, to make each photo as crisp and useful as possible.

Get their picture them post it on a public web site. Shame them into being responsible.
(not legal adivce.)

I from Canada and am currently visiting Oahu. I have never been predisposed towards littering and seeing how beautiful Hawaii is, I am even less disposed towards littering. That being said, I have seen the state of the hotel beaches at sunset, so I know that there are discourteous people out there.

You are very lucky to live in Hawaii.

Some tourists suck.

I go down by the water almost every day. I end up picking up trash at the same sites over and over. Who keeps trashing my island???? This 'disrespect' really annoys me, how about you? They should be ashamed of themselves!!

63435_1630460594924_1038890729_1708970_2775264_n.jpg

155894_1630459794904_1038890729_1708969_514306_n.jpg

Shaka, send those bottles over here to Oahu and I will dust them for prints and hunts those punks down :cool2: Sorry you keep finding trash when you go to the water. It seems like it is almost as bad underwater sometimes as it is out. I guess I will just keep picking it up when I find it. Aloha.

I make a practice of telling those I see throwing trash on the ground that they just dropped something, you know like a wallet.

When they look at what they have just "lost" they usually innocently tell me that this is just stuff they no longer need.

That is when my attitude changes and I drive it home.

From the helpful passerby I change into the disgusted witness of a dirty deed with the appropriate comment applicable at that time. :shakehead: or :cussing:

Sadly it is not only the tourists. We lived near the Ala Wai for years - it was amazing the amount of trash that comes down from the residential areas when it rains :(

I don't think it's tourists really. I think it's mostly people who live here. Alcoholics leave beer bottles at the beach. Smokers leave cig butts on the ground and everywhere. I guess we can blame them. Our state gives back $0.05 every time someone returns one of these bottles to their recycle center but really, I don't think it's worth it to be the guy cruising the beachs for redemption bottles. There are a lot of people who do that here but they mostly fish the bottles and cans out of garbage cans. I rarely see them scour the ground looking for them.

It's a shame and it's so easily preventable by simply understanding that it is the wrong thing to do. Those who do not understand this are just plain STUPID PEOPLE and they should be sent back to school for reprogramming. I like to practice a "Leave No Trace" attitude. It's no big deal. If you haul it in, haul it out! The term I use for this debris is "MOOP" Have you heard of MOOP before? It stands for "Matter Out Of Place". It's worse than Poop and it doesn't belong on the ground, on our beaches or in our sea.

My message to these scoundrels is: "Please pick up after yourselves. I won't be around forever to do it for you! Your kids will have to play in your nasty garbage if you don't clean up your act. Have some pride and become at least a little bit responsible for a little bit of the world we all share. It's easy and you can start right now!"

Back
Top Bottom