Who is still diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My club has been diving for several weeks now. I dived on Wednesday for the first time since January. We are having hot humid weather in UK and it was brilliant to once again be diving in cool fresh water. I should have been in diving n Tenerife in May but had to cancel due to Covid, hopefully our October trip to Madeira is going ahead,,the hotel and dive center re opened a few weeks ago.

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii. We dove almost every day...here are some of our dive pics.
Very impressive photos! I've been diving in Hawaii a few times and have not seen most of those critters. I'm planning a combo trip soon to the Big Island & Maui. Are you on the Kona or Hilo side of the island? Where are the Puako & Fish Pond sites?

Here it seems like covid has been something of a boon for local diving. I think a lot of Swedish divers are normally of the warm-water-only variety -- hitting the Red Sea and other places, and maybe a month or two of summer diving at home if they're really enthusiastic. But this year there's been zero travel to warm water possible, the borders are still effectively closed and will likely be so until the end of the year.

For me as a new diver I was hoping to do some diving here during summer and had a few trips planned. The trips never happened, instead I got to go all in on local diving and get really comfortable in my drysuit. And I'm not the only one, apparently the good local diving outfits have been fully booked every week of the season, which is not usually the case. Other people have also gotten used to the climate here and become more accepting of cold water diving.

Now I'm hoping to keep the diving up all year round. This is not something that was on my radar pre-covid. Maybe I'll even get some buddies.

(Still looking forward to warm water diving at some point in the distant future though... hopefully)

Once Monterey opened for diving, I’ve been back on my normal routine of once a month. I still worry about the bathrooms, because otherwise I’m only inside with other people very briefly. E.g., drop off a tank, head back outside. I’m masked unless I’m hooded up for the trek into the beach. I do travel an hour or two, but sadly both areas have fairly high case rate so that doesn’t matter. Doesn’t seem any riskier than other outdoor activity I could do in the park near my house.

Here it seems like covid has been something of a boon for local diving. I think a lot of Swedish divers are normally of the warm-water-only variety -- hitting the Red Sea and other places, and maybe a month or two of summer diving at home if they're really enthusiastic. But this year there's been zero travel to warm water possible, the borders are still effectively closed and will likely be so until the end of the year.

For me as a new diver I was hoping to do some diving here during summer and had a few trips planned. The trips never happened, instead I got to go all in on local diving and get really comfortable in my drysuit. And I'm not the only one, apparently the good local diving outfits have been fully booked every week of the season, which is not usually the case. Other people have also gotten used to the climate here and become more accepting of cold water diving.

Now I'm hoping to keep the diving up all year round. This is not something that was on my radar pre-covid. Maybe I'll even get some buddies.

(Still looking forward to warm water diving at some point in the distant future though... hopefully)

Same for your neighbors, i got certified a year ago and had some dives in Greece and Cyprus and then i had a big break because of the cold weather Denmark has.
During the lockdown i bought all of my equipment and watched a million videos researching about equipment and learning new stuff about diving.
I joined a diving club on July and was surprised of how many dive clubs Copenhagen has and how many people are diving almost 2-3 times a week!!
I would never expect people to be motivated to dive in cold water and bad visibility.
I got 5 dives in Greece during August and i keep diving in DK at least once a week.
Things are going backwards here though and the are a few new measurements as the cases are increasing.
Hopefully we will still be allowed to dive!

I haven't dived since February (HMSC Brisbane, Queensland). I cancelled my April trip to Puerto Galera. Hopefully I will be diving at Christmas. I am happy for those in my community who are diving. Stay safe.

In Michigan they opened the marina for transient boaters in early July. I think I've had more dives this summer in the Great Lakes than past years, nothing else competing for my weekend time.

Ready to be able to travel and do some warm water diving.

Like most have said during the COVID thing we've seen a dramatic increase in my area in anything outdoor recreational including diving. All the dive spots have been super busy all summer and the dive charters have been booked solid on the Great Lakes.

I have been doing more diving on the NorCal coast (Sonoma and Mendocino counties) this summer. I wanted to do this anyways, so in that regard covid is a boon...But, I have been really enjoying it. Conditions have been really good recently and I will be going out again on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom