Who is still diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a new (sub 1-year) diver, my wife is a Master Diver who solder her gear off after she divorced her ex. We went on an amazing liveaboard cruise in December. Since then, we started buying our own gear just before the shutdown in Maine (mis-March). We finally bought the rest of our gear in early July, and have been going on weekend shore dives in Southern Maine since then.

I wish we could plan another dive vacation to somewhere warm, but since we can't, any bubble time is worth it!

I have a boat but conditions have been bad quite often the past few months. I've still gone diving but had some dives with less than five feet vis. Some of our local dive boats have been running for a couple of months and the beaches are open, so diving in SoCal is mostly open.

I can throw a rock from my home and hit the ocean so my diving hasn't been affected much.

Also it helps when the Red Sea is just 4 hours drive one way. I just got back from there today!

Even picked up a new drysuit.

I’m in COZ as well and the pool is open!

I didn't dive from mid-March until May. Then I started doing beach dives at the few beaches that were open with just one dive buddy, to minimize exposure. We didn't (and still don't) carpool to the dive site. After a month or so of that, I started diving with a couple other buddies. Recently I started going out on smaller boats with open-air layouts running a reduced load. I manage to feel guilty both about the risks I'm taking (and spreading), and about not supporting the industry more. But I think I'd lose my mind if I didn't have an escape like this.

I have dived every weekend since early October 2019 and often on weekdays.

Sydney has some awesome diving and we were lucky that diving was deemed exercise early into the pandemic. I have a 75-90 minute drive to my usual dive sites and so the only issue was at times the authorities wanted us to "stay local". I took a calculated risk as a) I have my own compressor and b) I have an electric car, so I I don't have to stop and come in contact with people between home and the dive sites.

Over Easter they closed the National Park where I normally dive so we just walked in from outside carrying our gear.

I have been shore diving the local, and semi local, lakes throughout the year. Didn't have to stop except for when I sent my drysuit off for a new zipper in June.

DW

Zero interruptions in my local/regional diving. I have had 4 trips canceled outside of my region. It helps when you own a boat. Looking at the situation in totality, I haven't really been impacted in a significant manner. Life, work, and play are in very rural areas. I guess that's the benefit to my lifestyle. My town had 3 minor cases (people returning from business travel) , the surrounding 3 towns have had 0 cases.

Well, since march have dived no more than 12 dives, none in the sea. This is a fraction of a normal year. First sea dive of the year North Wales tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom