Who is spoiled on Carribbean diving only? no lakes......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sasscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been diving for 25 years and only prefer to dive in warm/carribbean waters. Anyone else spoiled to the warmer waters? Did some lake diving early on and realized it was not really my cup of tea. Who else desires warm water, great visibilty, and colorful marine life only?:D

Not me. My salt water experience is confined to the US east coast and the Gulf. It was plenty warm though. My other diving has been the Great Lakes, rivers lakes and quarries and various caves scattered from Florida to Missouri. Every time I'm in Florida and plan some ocean time we get blown out so I just go cave diving.

I grew up freshwater fishing and, to me, fresh water fish look like fish. Everything in the ocean is funny colors and funny shaped and many don't look like fish at all to me. Proof that God not only has an infinite imagination but an infinite sense of humor as well. LOL

To me it's fascinating to view the habits of fish that I hunted from above for so many years while sitting in a boat wondering what was really going on down there.

I definately want to find time to get back in the ocean but I have little desire to go to the caribbean or get on a plane to go anyplace unless I'm being paid to go.

Count me as a WWW. I would rather take quality over quantity.
Just don't like cold muck diving. :sharks:

stangscuba98a:
I have been diving for 25 years and only prefer to dive in warm/carribbean waters. Anyone else spoiled to the warmer waters? Did some lake diving early on and realized it was not really my cup of tea. Who else desires warm water, great visibilty, and colorful marine life only?:D

Anyone who doesn't prefer diving in clear warm water either never has, or is being economical with the truth.

DeputyDan:
Its called - being a warm water wussie.... WWW

That's me..:D

I think it has alot to do with being able to fly for free working for AA. Allows me to dive places I could not afford to if I had to pay for airfare. Otherwise I would probably be in the lake...well maybe..:wink:

MikeFerrara:
Everything in the ocean is funny colors and funny shaped and many don't look like fish at all to me. Proof that God not only has an infinite imagination but an infinite sense of humor as well. LOL

Good line, I agree. I live in the Great Lakes area. I have been in Lake Mich, Lake Sup.,
and Lake Huron plus other various inland lakes. I have been in caves, mines and what some may consider mudpuddles. I much prefer the Ocean, I've been to the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian. I've been in the Bismark, Red, Coral, Caribbean Seas. Give me clear Caribbean (or any other warm water) water anyday over the Lakes. Talk about warm, diving in Papua New Guinea, the water was 90F most of the time. I prefer the marine life over fresh water anytime.

stangscuba98a:
I wish. I, unfortunately will dive in whatever hole with water is deep enough to have me. That puts a damper on my wallet and my time management. But floating free, whether in the warm ocean or in a cold quarry in January, has a pull on me that I just can't quell in any other way.

I have nothing against you warm water wussies. I envy your willpower...

Chris

I did OW/AOW in New England and dove here for a few years, mostly salt water and a few lakes. I'm glad I did, but after the first couple warm water trips the hassles and (relative lack of) rewards of local diving became less and less appealing to me and I gradually gave it up. If I couldn't regularly go to the tropics to dive I'm not sure if I'd still dive local, or have simply given it up.

I've occasionally thought about diving local again but I suspect thinking about it is as far as it will probably get. It would be interesting to experience some of the cold water diving in other parts of the US, I'd particularly love to see a kelp forest. But I wouldn't make a special trip to do it and there's usually not enough time when I'm visiting for some other reason, so another thing I only think about doing.

stangscuba98a:

I'm not spoiled on Caribbean diving.....I tolerate it....the Indo Pacific has far greater marine life diversity than here. But, I guess I'll have to make do....:D I've never dived fresh water except in my sister's swimming pool when I was testing a new reg I bought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom