Who is responsible for what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very good post. Want to stress on diving SAFETY here: I agree with what JimLap has written.
Sit down and absorb the presented facts everyone!

Thank you JimLap, excellent post. I am one of those new divers but have been around avid divers for most of my life... and know the risks, it is true that many dive ops and instructors do NOT stress enough the dangers that diving can present a person. It can be a wonderful experience or a heart breaking one if the importance of ones own levels of experience, comfort level and just plain commen sense are taken in.
To all the new Divers it is true there is a lot of things you do not know and I am glad to say I admit that I do not know everything and I am ready to learn. Thanks again to JimLap

Thank a lot for this thread.
I have recently finished PADI OW. Though the course was indeed very short i did feel like i was getting all the information and the instructors were giving enough attention / making sure everyone was comfortable.
However, there was not such a strong emphasis on your OWN responsibility for safety. Merely the buddy-system was stressed and skills had to be completed.

I do think i am capable in what i have learned, but i also realise that there is still very much to learn. A friend of mine once compared it to a drivers-license: "You have learned how to operate a car, now it's time to learn how to drive."

I want to get as much training as budget and time will allow and would not pass up the chance to dive with more experienced divers, as i want to learn as much as possible. However, reading this topic and other threads as well, i might want to think again before continuing with the PADI system.

For a novice, it appears as though all the agencies offer the same courses, many as named very similair. But as i would like the best training some browsing may not be a bad idea.

Binky:
Though the course was indeed very short i did feel like i was getting all the information

You don't know what you don't know.

Binky:
For a novice, it appears as though all the agencies offer the same courses

As a novice, how could you possibly know?

You don't know what you don't know.

agreed, hence my hunger for information and subscription to this board.

As a novice, how could you possibly know?

i cannot, they just are all so abtly named the same (OW, AOW, ** specialty, etc.). Hard to know the difference in content. I chose PADI because it was the only one offered in my LDC, but if others provide better/more extensive training, i'm all up for it.

JimLap, thank you for posting this. If you don't mind I'll add a part of the post to our website with the link to the full post on SB. I believe it's very important for divers to know all what you said.

So many "professionals" in touristy areas like here say: "The people that are taking courses at a resort will never dive seriously, they will dive only on their vacations with a guide, so it doesn't matter it they don't know everything." Well certified OWD should learn everything properly, doesn't matter where he / she takes the course.

Binky
All agencies have great instructors and any of them can have a bad one. It's not the agency, it's the person teaching, that makes the difference.

JimLap, thank you for posting this. If you don't mind I'll add a part of the post to our website with the link to the full post on SB. I believe it's very important for divers to know all what you said.

So many "professionals" in touristy areas like here say: "The people that are taking courses at a resort will never dive seriously, they will dive only on their vacations with a guide, so it doesn't matter it they don't know everything." Well certified OWD should learn everything properly, doesn't matter where he / she takes the course.

Binky
All agencies have great instructors and any of them can have a bad one. It's not the agency, it's the person teaching, that makes the difference.

Feel free to do so. Just send me a link so I can link to your site from mine as well.

I believe the true learning experience begins after someone earns their c-card. Nothing beats experience combined with a good education. So many times, an unfortunate accident could have been prevented with the skills taught in certification class.

Excellent post Jim!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom