Who is best for getting a new neck Zipseal installed on a DUI suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I am now curious about the Zip Seal vs SI Tech Quick Neck....anyone have compelling info either way?

@Andy in Gap , I called those folks....they were super helpful and nice! I may use them if I go the SI Tech route...
If you’re not some tiny person with no shoulders you’ll never notice the si tech ring, if you get a suit that fits properly it won’t keep you from reaching anything, they also have the O-rust system that is even softer, people seem freaked out that it has clips that they assume they will drop on a boat, the common weird aversion you see here about new things.
If you want a spare seal the DUI costs about 600% more than a replacement si tech, same with the wrist seals, someone has been way to subtle in previous posts, buy a Seaskin and sell the dui, you’ll be happy because you can take the $ saved on the seals alone and buy more S600 parts, a win win.

At 6'-7", nothing but a custom made to measure will ever be a possibility. DUI used to be the only source (90's) as most other companies could just alter an existing suit vs. actually build one from the ground up. There are a couple more now, but still not a lot of options. DUI was a really great company that made a great suit back in the day. I got some parts (rock boots) just a few years back, and they were crap in materials and quality compared to my old ones that have finally given up.... My repairs and the comments on new suits gives me pause to ever get another one.

At least the heavy duty wrist zip seals seem almost indestructable, and the neck seems sturdy. With a few spares and proper care, I should be okay until I am out of diving... I just have trouble having a suit cut for a college age athalete who is now 30 years later, and 50 pounds heavier (plus, the made to measure was done by cavers who cut it close...).... UGH!

If you’re not some tiny person with no shoulders you’ll never notice the si tech ring, if you get a suit that fits properly it won’t keep you from reaching anything, they also have the O-rust system that is even softer, people seem freaked out that it has clips that they assume they will drop on a boat, the common weird aversion you see here about new things.
If you want a spare seal the DUI costs about 600% more than a replacement si tech, same with the wrist seals, someone has been way to subtle in previous posts, buy a Seaskin and sell the dui, you’ll be happy because you can take the $ saved on the seals alone and buy more S600 parts, a win win.

@formernuke is definitely not a tiny person with no shoulders, but he reported he tried a rental suit with a SiTech ring (unsure which one) and he was unable to reach his valves.

Hmmmm....I'm 5'7" and about 180#...that sweet mix of muscle and dad bod :wink:

I would perfer to see one n such before committing to it.

I did call DUI today for a couple of questions...no one picked up...I had to leave a message. We will see if they call back.

Si-tech....cost.of ownership/maintenance in the long run is more affordable and less headaches.

-Z

Update: DUI did called me back! The part about requiring me to select some sort of protection [butt pad, knee pad, etc] was entirely my fault. On the repair submission form, at the beginning, I accidentally selected to "Install Protective Pads". Totally my mistake and they were able to see in the notes where I said I did not want any protective pads and they fixed it in their computer.

They also said this is the busy season and turn around time is now 6-8 weeks.

So, I will look at the SI Tech rings closer...and make a decision coming up...probably send it in to DUI for the neck zip seal...in early April...nurse my current neck seal a bit longer...

I sure appreciate all the replies and info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom