Who hunts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Itote:
Funny, a hundred years ago you wouldn't find a home anywhere without some type of firearm in it. Nowadays some states require you to get a permit to own one. Have we really changed that much?
Sorry, didn't want it to sound like a rant.
Chris
!

What's wrong with ranting about stupidity? Maybe if more of us ranted we could slow them down.

Anyway I only shoot:
for food (deer & turkey mostly),
for nusiance removal (possum, armadillo, etc),
for fun(Skeet,paper, cans).
for classes(paper)
for seafood(speargun of course, mostly hawgfish)
and then just for practice, since I always carry, and I believe GOOD gun control is hitting what you aim at.

I bow hunt for Mule deer and White-tail deer. I'm lucky b/c my brother has 18,000 acres in western Kansas where you get both species intermingling. Also bow hunt hog & turkey. Otherwise, when I can't use a bow I hunt dove, pheasant, quail, duck, geese, & coyote.

I have, but not in the last couple of years ('cause I bought a pasture raised cow). I figured out quite a few years ago that if I eat meat, it means some animal died. I'm OK with that, but what I'm not OK with is how most commercially sold meat was raised and lived it's life.

I would much rather eat an animal that was living as "natural" a life as possible, whether it's a "game" animal like moose, deer, caribou, fish, pheasant, whatever or a non-feedlot-raised beef, buffalo or chicken. Though I do sometimes eat store-bought meat or meat in a restaurant, it bothers me to know that the animal lived most of its life eating, sleeping and lounging in sh!t.

These animals are often (sometimes daily in there feed) given large amounts of antibiotics to keep them from getting sick because of this. They are usually also fed or injected with hormones to make them grow up faster and bigger so the raiser can get more $$ when they go the the slaughter house. There's another "issue." If you've never been to one, don't go. You don't want to know where your meat comes from or how it gets there! Again, as someone who has a great love and respect for all the animals, I would rather eat an animal who lived its life mostly naturally and was killed humanely.

OK, off my :soapbox: now...

Itote:
P.S. It's hard to beat the thrill of a covey of birds blowing up from right under your feet, it'll definitely get the heart to pumpin!

Yeah man. I get chicken skin thinking about it. The dogs holding a point together...."whoa now,....whoa now....." I loved the dogs. English short hairs are unreal. To quote an author from "Bobwhite Quail Hunting", they're "natural born, brush busting, rip snortin', rough assed quail huntin' machines". Blood on their balls and tip of the tail at the end of the day...and still raring to go.
I hear you on having a gun for protection. I live in a remote area and there have been known to be full on bandits crossing over from neighboring countries. So I like having a few loud, big dogs around and a 12 guage in the house. Some of the people complain about the dogs but I tell them, "this ain't Suburbia we're living in here. This is like a remote Indian village". You have to see this place. Hank

well ... I'd love to hunt, but never find anything... guess that makes me a hiker with a rifle/bow... oh well I still love the outdoors, but spend most of my outside time diving now that I've discovered SCUBA... my poor dog misses the mountains though... too bad she can't go diving...

Being a hiker with or without a gun or a bow is fine with me.I love being outdoors so even if I dont see any "game" I still get to see the true wonders of the world. Above and below water is where you can sit back and look at what all god created and just kinda take it in.....sighhh. Relaxin aint it?

That's a cool pic, Snow!

I used to do a lot of hunting, dry and wet. But I'm having more fun now taking pictures of stuff and even though my eyesight isn't all that great I'm starting to see things I didn't see before.

Used to hunt quite a bit, but now rarely do, other than spearfishing. I do have a freezer well stocked with game, however, courtesy of friends & family, so we enjoy a regular fare of venison & birds as well as fresh fish.
I enjoy hunting, but enjoy diving more...
Rick

Back
Top Bottom