Who hunts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Itote

Contributor
Reaction score
Polk City, Florida at heart, but my behind is in G
Obviously we all dive or are at least interested in diving. What I want to know is who hunts? I dont mean in the water but on ol' terra firma.Just wonderin what, where and how. I'll go first:
I'm an absolute nut about bow hunting. Something about having to be that close to wildlife to make a clean kill. I hunt deer, hogs, and turkey, with deer being my favorite. Hog hunting with dogs is as about as exciting as you can get in my book. Dogs catch, I ease up and grab MR. Boar Hog by back leg and give him a poke with trusty pocket knife and walla, fresh pork. Small games ok too, especially ducks. Anyone else?
Chris

Itote:
Obviously we all dive or are at least interested in diving. What I want to know is who hunts? I dont mean in the water but on ol' terra firma.Just wonderin what, where and how. I'll go first:
I'm an absolute nut about bow hunting. Something about having to be that close to wildlife to make a clean kill. I hunt deer, hogs, and turkey, with deer being my favorite. Hog hunting with dogs is as about as exciting as you can get in my book. Dogs catch, I ease up and grab MR. Boar Hog by back leg and give him a poke with trusty pocket knife and walla, fresh pork. Small games ok too, especially ducks. Anyone else?
Chris

I'm in Texas....nuff said.

Itote:
Chris

I go Elk, Deer hunting every year. I have done Turkey, Duck, Grouse, Small Game, and Pheasant hunting as well.

I'm not a avid hunter, but Big Game Hunting in CO is about as good as it gets next to Alaska, or Canada, and Elk is yummy.

Colin,
Let's gitter done! Bow season starts in september. Course we can always take my dogs and catch a hog. Still working on the legalities of the quarry dive. Soon as I know something, I'll pass it on.
Chris

i used to hunt deer (never shot one, though had a bead on a very nice 8-pointer
once, for Florida it was a giant; couldn't bring myself to shoot)

but i was murder on squirrels. i loved cooking them, as well as any catfish
or bream i could fish. it was fun, and a cheap source of meat.

then... i got married...

"I don't want any dead squirrels in the freezer"

:argue:

i just shoot at paper now

H2Andy:
i used to hunt deer (never shot one, though had a bead on a very nice 8-pointer
once, for Florida it was a giant; couldn't bring myself to shoot)

but i was murder on squirrels. i loved cooking them, as well as any catfish
or bream i could fish. it was fun, and a cheap source of meat.

then... i got married...

"I don't want any dead squirrels in the freezer"

:argue:

i just shoot at paper now

I used to hunt. I have a deer mount, I have a fish mounted, I used to hunt goose and ducks. Once I was drawn for the Maple River flooding (a unique area for duck hunting), where I got my first double. Then I also used to pheasent hunt. Meanwhile during all this, I was hunting for a two legged dear. Once I bagged her, my hunting days came to an end....especially since she'll dive :dazzler1: Now I just hunt with a camera underwater. :crafty:

I grew up hunting bob white quail with English short hair pointers. Squirrel and rabbit too but mainly quail. Unreal that. My father, who loved to hunt too, was one of two doctors in a little farm town and knew just about every farmer, so I had access to just about every farm in the area. Not only that, they would give me a scouting report from when they combined the soy beans and corn and they knew the location of every covey. Now almost all those places are subdivisions or Walmart parking lots.
Now, I have to hunt and shoot certain bird species occasionally because if we don't scare them off or control them, they'll multiply exponentially and we'll not have a shrimp farm anymore, but a bird farm.
Since they've learned the exact range of a 12 guage and fly just as you enter that distance with a pickup truck I've now evolved into the 22 magnum with a scope realm. (plus it's a lot cheaper than 12 guage shells) But this is good for about 75 yards or so and they've figured this out. Now I'm looking into a 22-250 with scope. Like, the 200 yard range I'm hoping. Problem is getting one in Belize...or even the USA. Since I haven't lived there for 19 years and have no driver's license or residence, I couldn't even get one in TEXAS. What is the US coming too? But it's great living out in the country again.

Cool everyone, keep'em comin!
I poped a 100-125 lb boar hog with the ol 44 mag this evening right before dark. I dont need the meat but I know a lady with two boys that'll sure make use of it.

Hank- It is gettin bad over here. Seems like people want to look down there noses at you for owning a gun or even talking about hunting anymore. Personally, I dont care. I do what I do because I enjoy it, and because it puts food in front of my kids. I think any law abiding person in the world should be able to provide for and protect their families, course not everyone see's it my way. Funny, a hundred years ago you wouldn't find a home anywhere without some type of firearm in it. Nowadays some states require you to get a permit to own one. Have we really changed that much?
Sorry, didn't want it to sound like a rant.
Chris
P.S. It's hard to beat the thrill of a covey of birds blowing up from right under your feet, it'll definitely get the heart to pumpin!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom