Who has the better diving and WHY? Miami vs. Ft Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one that you prefer...
That doesn't make it "better". Define what makes good diving to you.

I live in Broward so I dive in Broward. Is it better? I dunno, I live here, I dive here. And, as Deepstops put it, our infrastructure is better than Miami-Dade. Does that make it better? :idk:

I recommend you get a copy of Amazon.com: Diving Guide to Underwater Florida, 11th Edition (9781878348395): Ned DeLoach: Books to decide.

Remember, you also need to be mindful of marinas and/or ramps and what is convenient for you.

To be more accurate, let's say Miami-Dade vs. Broward. Which has the better diving and why? :confused:

Here on ScubaBoard, I hear more about diving in the Ft. Lauderdale area, but maybe that's because there are more members from that area? I have a friend coming down for a long weekend in October, and she's trying to decide which city to stay in. We'd primarily be diving from my boat, doing reefs and wrecks. Thanks for the input!

:popcorn:

They are very equal IMO as far as the actual diving goes but Broward has far better diving infrastructure to support diving (boats, fills, gear).

If you've got good GPS numbers, they are equal from a boat.

Remember y'all, this is a guy and a friend and his boat. Boynton is all drift diving. Who buddies with whom?

That doesn't make it "better". Define what makes good diving to you.

I live in Broward so I dive in Broward. Is it better? I dunno, I live here, I dive here. And, as Deepstops put it, our infrastructure is better than Miami-Dade. Does that make it better? :idk:

I recommend you get a copy of Amazon.com: Diving Guide to Underwater Florida, 11th Edition (9781878348395): Ned DeLoach: Books to decide.

Remember, you also need to be mindful of marinas and/or ramps and what is convenient for you.

All great points - but you are all wrong - its Jupiter for the best diving (and I live in Miami) :D:rofl3::D

Seriously, we are truly blessed to live in an area that has such fantastic diving - many have to "settle" for a lake, or a quarry for local diving - we have Jupiter - the Keys - again really great!

To address the OP's question directly (because he was not inquiring about northern Palm Beach county - BTW.....Boynton is a close 2nd to Jupiter):

I like Miami in part b/c I live there, and have been diving the wrecks and reefs off our own boat since 1985 - its great. If you enjoy wrecks, Miami simply has more of them. Some of the reef sites - like the "Cascades" are excellent too.

2 problems w/ Broward (which has better reef diving than Miami IMO) - its drift diving, so you need have the people aboard to accomodate that, and dive in teams, since someone has to drive the boat - or you need a dedicated driver. Also, many of the sites have those old tires - I know, it may bother me more than others, but I can't get past them. :shakehead::(:shakehead:

As they say in Thailand, "Same same, but different" - but both excellent and to have them in our back yard, and what we call "local" diving - priceless!

They are very equal IMO as far as the actual diving goes but Broward has far better diving infrastructure to support diving (boats, fills, gear).

If you've got good GPS numbers, they are equal from a boat.

Tell us when and we'll setup a dive and hit the best types of spots you want to see..... Bring your guns and we'll go shooting afterwards... :)

Boynton has the best reefs for drift and 2-3 decent wrecks, and plenty of dive boats - a handful of decent shops (I think....).

Broward has a 60-90' reef system for drift, and ~20' for mooring & tons of wrecks in everything from 20-130-300+ due to the Pompano Fishing Rodeo, and plenty of dive boats and quality shops...

Miami Dade tends to be a bit sandier than up north and moored diving. Lots of wrecks to choose from in 70-130-200' that I'm aware of... Only really one commercial boat (RJ Diving - I highly recommend them), and a few quality shops that I know of.

Another one for Boynton.

All great points - but you are all wrong - its Jupiter for the best diving (and I live in Miami) :D:rofl3::D

The question was: who has better diving?

A - Broward

or

B - Dade??

Options for answering with C and D weren't given.

Oh, and BTW, most of MY good GPS numbers are in Dade County if that influences your decision, hint hint :D

Like I said: Boynton. :D

If you can't figure out that it's a subset of "B", then it's not my fault. :D

Jupiter sucks IMHO - or at least based on where I went.... there's a few decent sites - but it's mostly dusty and too deep to be appreciated for a full day...

Hole In the Wall is ok during aggregation - certainly an advanced dive. Everything just seemed patchy... Never had a dive up there blow my skirt up to warrant an excited return trip, and the current is always blowing steady to make any wreck dive spotty

Now you're talking down to me like I was a Bulldawg or something :rofl3:
Dude, that would be unconscionable. Mea culpa.

Not a local but Boynton rocks!

Now you're talking down to me like I was a Bulldawg or something :rofl3:

medium.jpg

She growled something about "don't diss the bulldawgs or she'll have to wake up and bark at you."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom