Who has the Best Scuba Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tampabay

Reaction score
Here is another subject that keeps me puzzle... With so many types of Scuba Mask out there. Which one has the best fit.
I know it depends on face shape and so on..... But which is better?
Mask with frame or with out? I want to hear it from Divers who Dive and not from a sale person.

Tampabay:
Here is another subject that keeps me puzzle... With so many types of Scuba Mask out there. Which one has the best fit.
Mask with frame or with out? I want to hear it from Divers who Dive and not from a sale person.
I like my SeaVision black, not the clear. For some reason the black masks seem to fit better.

I gree, but it's storming here...

Tampabay:

I use SeaVision Chameleon, I have tryed about Half of all the Masks made and these (SeaVision) are the ones I find to fit best. But like any other scuba gear, there are always others that may be better.

The best mask is the one that fits properly and doesn't leak. Most masks are pretty good so the brand doesn't necessarily matter. IMO avoid any mask that has a purge valve as thay can get dirt, sand, salt and other junk in them and leak at the worst possible moment, even if you clean it after every dive. Also look for a mask that has the smallest internal air volume. The larger the internal space the harder it's going to be to clear out the water when it floods. Smaller volume masks can usually be cleared with only one breath where larger volume masks may take two breaths or more.

Thanks for the input. Have you had the chance to try the frameless mask?

The best mask is the one that fits properly and doesn't leak. Most masks are pretty good so the brand doesn't necessarily matter. IMO avoid any mask that has a purge valve as thay can get dirt, sand, salt and other junk in them and leak at the worst possible moment,

That said, it boiles down to personal perference.
My faviorate is Cressi Big Eyes. (they have also come out w/ slight variations called Horizon (w/side window), and Matrix (clear frame all around).
The lenses are slanted and you get such an enormous field of vision it is unbelievable. If you look down at your chest, you can actually see youself.

Tampabay:

The one that doesn't leak and you can clear is the right one.

I bought a new ScubaPro CrystalVu, and it turns out that my face contacts the mask right above the nose pocket, and makes purging it exceptionally difficult, so I went back to my old ScubaPro, which has a higher volume, and not as wide a field of view, but clears nicely.

Terry

The best scuba mast on the market, by far, it the one that fits your fact perfectly and your budget too. There is somthing to be said about personal preference and getting the low profile mask and one you can see out of nicly and see your check area too. Beyond that, get what suits you.

My wife has always felt a bit uncomfortable diving and one of the big reasons i found out was her mask (a TUSA model) was always flooding. I was working with her and noticed it, and suggested we swap masks (I had just picked up a new aqualung quartz 3). The new mask fit her perfectly, and her whole confidence level just turned right around. No Duh!

1. I'm embarrassed I didn't suggest a different mask sooner. REALLY embarrassed
2. Her old mask fit's me fine, but I'm bumming that I lost my new mask :11:
3. Some faces are harder to fit, particularly narrow and wide

The moral to this story is that there was nothing wrong with her old mask, it just wasn't right for her. There is no perfect mask

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom