Who has tank tumbler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whip? how do i make a whip?

Ken, what size media do you normally get? do you tumble dry or wet? can you please tell me how to do it right?? this is my first try...

Go buy some stainless cable from HD or Lowe's etc. Then some brass rod or use plastic to protect the threads if you use a steel rod (The plastic caps that come on filled O2 tanks happens to work perfect). I used steel rods myself, just because they are readily available without going to a hobby shop. With a couple of hose clamps (There are better clamping systems but few have the tools necessary) install the cable at the right length for the tanks you are going to whip. Splay the front of the cable out and hook your drill up. Usually with two people it works better. One person puts a glove on and stabilizes the rod, as the second person runs the drill up and down working over the tank surface. Much of it is done by feel. Blow out the dirty air every now and again so you can see with a really bright flashlight.

Once completed you can decided whether you want to O2 clean them or not.
tank-cleaning/whips-and-brushes

Ken, what size media do you normally get? do you tumble dry or wet? can you please tell me how to do it right?? this is my first try...

I use 1/4" ceramic spheres from Vibratory Finishing | Deburring Equipment & Machines | Tumbling Media .

I've also used 3/16" x 3/8" 22 degree angle-cut ceramic cylinders. I don't think they cut more aggressively, but they are sure a pain to tease in (and out) of a 3/4" neck Scuba cylinder and I couldn't imagine trying to get them out of a 7/8" neck cylinder. I see you're pretty local; I'll make you a deal on 50 pounds of the stuff if you want.

It would seem that the sharp edge media would cut faster, but according to the folks at c&m, the only thing that matters is the weight of the media.

thanks a lot guys, and the last question.
when do you stop cleaning?
do i want to keep doing it till it is all nice and shiny (matte).?
where would you stop and feel good about it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom