Who has got their UWATEC SMART Computer back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahhhh...I see :)

Eh...I'm not sure of a quality brand of external IR adapter. Belkin usually makes decent quality components - I always used a laptop with mine (built in IR) or you can now even use handhelds and WinCE to do it. Pretty cool.

Talked to Uwatec again yesterday. They gave me some pretty disturbing news.

It seems that my LDS who always told me that they had not heard from Uwatec yet about my replacement, never shipped my SmartCom in the first place. (It's been siting in their shop for two months!!!) No wonder Uwatec had never heard of me. A conversation with that dive shop and a termination of any business I do with them will happen tomorrow. I'm referring to Dive Shop IV on Cobb Parkway in Marietta, GA. I left a message for Mike Van Hoesen the owner around noon today.He has not returned my call yet.

And for the good news....Uwatec called me back and told me that they were shipping a new SmartCom to me today, 2 Day FedEx. They seemed very concerned and were very helpful. (I talked to Diane)

I'll keep you posted as this saga continues. BTW, Uwatec knows that I am going to Roatan in 11 days and is aware that I am taking students. Let's see if they can get me a computer to dive with while down there.

Colin Berry

Colin,
If you don't get your replacement in the two day's that you were promised get in contact with Eric Schulte at Uwatec! I was in the same boat, leaving on a trip with no computer, he took the bull by the ........horns and sent a replacement out 1 day Fedex.

In fact he didn't wait for me to return the Smart Com sent by mistake, he took me at my word that I would return it with the provided shipping materials!

Now I must admit that I'm none too happy about not having my computer for the summer, but Eric was a class act in his handling of my dilemma.

My dive shop did the same thing to me. I called Uwatec last week and they told me the dive shop hadnt sent them any computers let alone mine. They called the dive shop for me and and i received my computer yesterday. It really makes you wonder what the LDS's are thinking........fireguy

I just got mine yesterday, 3 Oct. I was starting to get a little worried as I had sent it in the middle of August. Didn't realize that there was a Leisure Pro punishment period. It was a brand new unit, received with a new HP hose and carry bag. I still have the original hose and bag. To Leisure Pro's credit they did send several e-mails advising me to return the unit to UWATEC, and I can't really hold them responsible if UWATEC had some kind of punishment list. To be fare to UWATEC they promised me a return within 90 days and they only took 45. Still a long time, but well within what they had promised. If there was some kind of punishment list, and I've seen no prof there was, I'd be a little pissed, but not exactly surprised. Thankfully for me there were other reasons I didn't get much diving in this summer, so the comp down time didn't really effect me.

Fireguy - there is a great, cheap interface device made by a company called BAFO - I have used one for some time with a Smart Com and it's worked reliably every time. Chekc this link - http://store.yahoo.com/sagetac/bafbfusbtoir.html

Before finding it (on this Bulletin Board) I had experienced several problems with a built-in laptop IR port.

BTW - for everyone on this thread - I got some hassle from Johnson about buying my Smart Com from Leisurepro. They suggested that I would be penalised on the waiting list for buying gear sourced outside N America. I observed that all Uwatec computers are sourced outside N America; they're made in Switzerland, after all!

Cutting a long story short - I got my computer replacement - brand-new, with hose - after about one month.

But that's not all - I have been very impressed that Leisurepro have followed up to confirm that I had received THEIR recall advice on the Uwatec problem and had got appropriate attention. Full marks to LP for customer service and concern.

MN

Sent mine back Sept 16, got a brand new one Oct 3. New software, HP hose w/disconnect, the works.

I am very pleased that Scubapro stands behind their products so well. Most computers out there have some percentage of problems. No one else said, we will replace them all, reguardless of where you bought it, even if you have no problems.

Good Job ScubaPro.

And the saga ends...

Thank you to everyone for your help and input. ShipwreckedDiver: I never did speak to Eric, but I left a message with his VM and Diane Schultze was EXTREMEMLY helpful and got me my computer ASAP

Diane even shipped me my computer without actually having received my original, that my LDS inexplicably failed to mail.

Leaving for Roatan in 7 days! Glad to have my computer back!
:D

Mailed 3 Smart COM units (Mine, the wife, and son's) out on Sept. 9th. Just recvd them back on Monday, October 5th. Complete new kits with all hoses, etc.

Very nice work Uwatec! I'm a customer for life (as long as things continue status quo)

If you had one of the 6,000 UWATEC SmartPRO and SmartCOM
computers recalled in August, there is a 90-day wait for
replacement. However, Undercurrent has learned that if you call
800-808-4948 to request priority service you may get it much
sooner.

I have a Vytec that I like a lot, just saw this and thought
I'd post it.

TRIG

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom