Who dove Dutch this weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maniago

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
...and what were the actual water temps ie your max depth and computer temp? I'll be there on 4 May for dry suit specialty finish, but my wife will be AOW finishing in an 8/7 semi-dry. She's not cold tolerant.

Thanks

last weekend it was showing a warming trend, up to 47 on the surface and 42 at depth. If we get some sunny days it may improve the surface, but not the depth as much. You might consider having a jug or cooler of warm water, stuff hood and gloves inside prior to donning. At least you are not sticking your mitts into cold gloves. I use 3 finger mitts in the cold water.

I did one dive on Saturday to test out the new Pee Valve.

Bottom temp was 43 at 65 feet. We did 1 82 minute dive. Temps on the platform were higher at 47-48.

Plenty of wetsuit divers there doing check out dives.

Between the likely warming over the next few weeks, and the 8/7 semi dry - I would think that she will be OK. You might see 50 on the surface and MAYBE, big maybe, 50 on the platform - but anything deeper wont change.

Vis was good.

Same as above - 43 at depth and 47 above. Still pretty cold.

I will be doing OW check out dives on May 4th at Dutch Springs in a wetsuit. Any tips on keeping warm in and out of the water for an "I've only been in a pool so far" new diver. Water in the mid to upper 40's and low 50's sounds REALLY COLD to me. Dry suit is not an option.

I will be doing OW check out dives on May 4th at Dutch Springs in a wetsuit. Any tips on keeping warm in and out of the water for an "I've only been in a pool so far" new diver. Water in the mid to upper 40's and low 50's sounds REALLY COLD to me. Dry suit is not an option.

I bought a cheapo soccer field tent and some tarps to put up on the sides. I also bought a heater from harbor freight just to take the chill off. If your instructor is on the ball, he'll have that stuff ready for your class. If not, get lots of towels and line your car seats and go hide in there with the heater on. Best to have a thermos of something hot, but not caffeinated. I consider warming from the inside is a necessity, especially in your OW case since you have at least 4 dives to get through over two days and it can get troublesome if you don't get your core up to temp after the first day. Also if you're staying in a hotel, consider using the hot tub if they have one. A long hot shower works for some people, but for me, its not enough when my core is down.

During early spring and late fall here in NE, during my transition from Dry to wet, I use a change-a-robe between dives, and to get changed in. Warm, cuts the wind, and makes it easier to get changed almost anywhere. Also, the idea of a warm something to drink, and warm water to pour over your head for a rinse is recommended to cut the chill. Kind of hard to concentrate on having a good time if your teeth are doing an imitation of castanets.

You will be fine.

Hardest thing is between dives - find a way to stay warm and IMMEDIATELY after your last dive - head to the heated showers and get your core temp up - then into dry clothes.

Its really not bad. My wife and I did our check out dives a few years back on the last day the were open in November. The hardest part was staying warm between dives and the air temps were much colder then you should see in May (hopefully).

Assuming you'll be using rental gear, I'd recommend either a farmer john, a 7mm with hooded vest, or 7 or 8mm with attached hood. The doubled neophrene of the farmer john will require more weight but will block the cold. A hooded wetsuit or using a vest with a 7mm will reduce the amount of cold water that enters the suit. Make sure they fit snugly. Mitts would be warmer than gloves. Once you're in and the initial shock wears off, it's really not bad. Have fun.

Yes that's exactly what I will be using. I tried it on and yes its snug. I felt like a mummy. Practiced with mitts in the pool and a hood. I am hoping it is a sunny warm day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom