Question Who Decides Where Invasions/Surges Are Located?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am wondering how the decision is made and who makes it as to where the invasions and surges are located. Although the web link shows previous trips for 20 years, from 2000-2019, I can only see trips going back to 2011. Looking at the history, it seems like there's a lot of repetition and not any new and exciting destinations selected. That's not to say that the Philippines and Fiji are not exciting. Have the powers that be ever presented the members with a poll for where we want to go next?

How about changing up the months these trips take place? Some locations are best visited in the dry season but may not coincide with the June and January or February dates that are always selected for these trips. How about moving the dates to better suit the diving conditions of a new location?

The Caribbean has been undergoing severe decline in reef health, which is not appealing for future trips. Maybe focus on some trips in the South Pacific or Asia.

Thanks for listening.

It appears to be based on ease of travel, best booking rates with comp freebies, all the stuff that makes most group travel offerings happen.

I booked a whole lot of ski trips, for my own club, the Chicago Council, also for United States Ski Association.

We looked at any resort’s ability to accept our numbers, sometimes up to 550 skiers. We looked at the number of free packages we could get for our staff.

When booking, we found intense interest and higher numbers of bookings to ski locations that the audience had heard of and were desirous to visit. We had to limit the total number of participants to Innsbruck, but offerings to “better” Alps ski valleys never were sold.

There is still spectacular Caribbean diving to be done. Problem #1: It’s hard to get to. Problem #2: Not a lot of bed space or dive infrastructure.…and here’s the BIG ONE: If they haven’t heard of it (SDM Advertorials), they have NO interest. The volume is simply not there.

Like Invasion, a key part of any ‘ski week’ was an alcohol sponsor. Free booze makes even crappy weather into a fun trip. Debate the efficacy of booze while skiing vs diving, go right ahead. The procuring of complementary alcohol outside of the USA can be quite problematic, esp in little island nations that might have some religious issues. No free booze? No invasion.

Invasion has been shopped around, and surprise- not every resort even wants it.

A resort has to roll the comp/freebies into the overall price. If they’re not giving back any more than the standard 10% back as booking fee, they are probably getting leaned on to provide things like free nitrox or boat night diving, arrange booze freebies, other services…stuff that costs money that the participants pay for as a group.

The Invasion offerings serve a purpose, get internet divers together for some fun. It’s works, and it is simply not “all about the diving”. It works quite well !

I would not run a trip that I’m getting for free just to herd cats through multiple connections to SE Asia or anyplace beyond the Caribbean. Free trip for me to do that? You go right ahead. SB likely would entertain an Invasion if you run it to their accounting standards. Go for it (take your Advil)

The Caribbean has been undergoing severe decline in reef health, which is not appealing for future trips. Maybe focus on some trips in the South Pacific or Asia.
Yeah, let’s spread the scourge, tired of shooting Lionfish? How about injecting some Crown of Thorns?

Dennis and Rox are in charge of these special trips... I don't/won't micromanage them and they've never, ever disappointed.

There are several criteria for where we go to...
  • They have to be big enough. We've had up top 120 go on our trips.
  • They have to be willing to commit to us
    No cattle boats
    No comingling other customers on our boats
    All-inclusive​
  • They have to be flexible
  • They have to give us our own deal that no one can match
  • They have to give us perks!!!
  • They have to do the billing!!!
    We don't get or want a percentage of the action​
  • They HAVE to convince Dennis and Rox that they will deliver as promised!
    Don't even think of changing the deal!!!​

That being said, we also have rules for our attendees. You must have a Covid Vax with at least one booster and you must commit to having a wonderful time!

@cardzard @ROXANNE

Although the web link shows previous trips for 20 years, from 2000-2019
This started out as "Invade the Keys" and ran for a number of years as just a weekend in the Keys. Do a key word search and you'll find stuff on those trips. These international trips are not much more expensive than just the weekend for most people.
Have the powers that be ever presented the members with a poll for where we want to go next?
Again, most destinations, like liveaboards, are simply not suitable for an invasion as they aren't near big enough. However, if you think a place can accommodate 100+ divers, tell Dennis and Rox.

So, lets say if @living4experiences put together an Invasion trip to run, and he managed to book 100 people, what can they do with the standard 1 in 10 people comp spaces? He’d be earning 10 free land packages. Or 12 if he booked 120. Thinking that $15-18k can assuage a lot of trip leader headaches.

BTW- I do not think Invasion has ever used ’cattle boats’, but the very same dive operators that are used often are described that way elsewhere here on SB. @The Chairman, what’s a cattle boat? Or not a cattle boat. (a definition constantly asked but never settled, before now?)

I don’t travel to dive but I have a couple of thoughts:

SB has a predominantly North American audience. FL, MX, and the Caribbean are within relatively easy reach from the rest of NA. Maybe at most a day’s travel each way if you have a connection or two.

Southeast Asia is going to require a very long plane ride. Maybe two days each way depending on where you are in NA. That means you can’t get away easily for a nice week’s vacation. A lot of people get two weeks’ vacation a year. Are they willing to blow most of their vacation on ONE trip? Airfare will also be significantly more expensive.

This is in addition to any issues about a hotel/resort/dive op able to accommodate a group of up to 100 people.

lets say if @living4experiences put together an Invasion trip to run,
Many trips are already planned right here on SB which I think is great. I'll try to support anyone who wants to give it a go... just contact me. Don't call it an Invasion or Surge though. Get creative and brand it. Do well, and you'll earn your own sub-forum too!

That means you can’t get away easily for a nice week’s vacation.
Typically, our Pacific trips are two weeks long and there are half a many people. We do two resorts then

Pete has stated how a basic framework to qualify to host a SB event works.
MANY more things are required to host an SB event, like they must be a advertiser on the board. Give us private parties, conference room space and much more which goes on behind the scene. Some of this happens before the event, during and after the event.

Another point WE ARE NOT TRAVEL AGENTS, for legal reasons SB has to have people on that end that also that must deliver. Feel free to ask a resort for all their rooms and boats then wait to hear how many thousands of dollars deposit it will take.
SB NEVER handles any money and if there is extra from any comps it goes back to the members attending.

We will listen to any resort who thinks they could host an SB event. However it must make sense for both SB and the members that will be attending.
This is not your local dive club trip. The more people the more moving parts.
YOU MUST WORK WITH PEOPLE YOU CAN TRUST TO DELIVER.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom