Who as been to Roatan, Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed at Anthony's Key the first time in 1993, and then again in 2000. The second time I was disappointed with the diving, it looked like a lot of the reef had died. The only exception was the West End Wall area, which is protected (and we only dove once). I haven't been back since.

Has anybody else had this impression? Or do you feel that the reef there is still very much alive?

glenn

Last time we were there was in May 06, Marys Place was looking kinda beat up. Calvins Crack was much better.

lmsdiver, don't be dissapointed if you don't see a lot of big fish; look for the small stuff. There is plenty to see.

Also, make sure your inoculations are up to date (tetanus, hep A and typhoid) and get the malaria pre-meds. Better safe than sorry.

Bring some high-power deet. The no-see-ums can be vicious. Say hello to the monkeys for me.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I spent 6 weeks diving at Utila this past summer, (Utila is a little island about 4 miles south of Roatan) I can't say much about where to stay or what sites to dive but I can tell you that you cannot dress too casual. half the people on the island will be wearing nothing more than swimsuits all day and all night. very few restaurants on Utila had a dress code. none in fact if I am remembering correctly. If you do nothing else in your preperation I reccomend that you bring lots of mosquito repellent and put on baby oil for the sand flies. they are horrible. happy diving

My wife and I went to Roatan two and a half years ago. We stayed at Foster's West Bay Beach. Very nice beach. Definitely be prepared for the mosquitos and sand flies - we were using about a can a day of insect repellent! The reef was in pretty good shape at West End. If you are looking for big animals, I don't recall seeing a lot of them. Turtles almost every dive. Lots of barracuda. We did see a couple reef sharks over the course of about 18 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom