Who as been to Roatan, Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travisc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am headed to Roatan, the last week of January, and I am looking for folks experience.

I will be on the Northwest side of the Island in a small resort.

What are the tipping customs, what kind of clothing/weather should I expect this time of year?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ah ... sorry Travis, I just remembered I was supposed to call you ... (I'll do so later this evening) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just got back a few days ago from a two week trip to Roatan. Stayed at Half Moon Bay cabins and dove with Coconut Tree Divers for two weeks.

Tipping: I only know what I tipped (20% at the dive shop, and $2/day for the hotel room).

During the day, it was shorts and t-shirts; at night I sometimes wore lightweight long pants, just to dress up.

Where are you staying? Who are you diving with?

Please write a report when you get back.

Hi - I was curious how your dive trip went? I have the same questions that you did as I am headed there in two weeks. Any suggestions on dive sites that we shouldn't miss?

Short Report:

The good: The place was nice, and remote. Diving was OK, they really didn't venture out anymore then 1-2 miles in either direction from the resort and after the 4th day, it was all about the same. If the weather is bad they do not really have any back up option and will cancel your dive. The owners are nice, the staff is pleasant.

The bad: The week we chose to stay at the resort- we were the only guests with the exception of some drop ins. What that means is the kitchen didn't always have what was on the menu, they wanted to know what you wanted for dinner at lunch, they shut things down early. The second day there we found two pairs of earrings missing on the nightstand, amazingly the were "found in the sheets" the following day (by the staff). The dive shop was chaninging management and really didn't want to consider doing some different sites, they combined work dives with our chartered dives. And overall I was not impressed with the operation. Being remote wouldn't have been an issue if there had been more folks around, there are NO activities short of diving and sitting on the beach, and the 'no-seeums' will get you, if there isn't any wind.

Now if you are on the other end of the Island, I do not believe you will have these issues, we rented a car on day and visited the Entrance to Cocoview, Fantasy Island, and stopped by Anthony's they all looked like great active places. I will not be going to Payabay, nor would I recommend anyone that I know to go there. we did an 8 day trip with 7 days of diving, 1 rending a car, after 4 days we stopped carrying the cameras, because nothing changed. The biggest "fish" we saw was a turtle and barracuda, the reef life was nice, but I like fish.

Thanks for the report. We are staying at Fantasy Island - so the lack of people shouldn't be an issue and we are only staying there for 5 days of diving. That's a bummer about the fish. I am also hoping to see some big fish with large dorsal fins, but we'll just have to wait and see what's around when we get there.

lmsdiver:
Thanks for the report. We are staying at Fantasy Island - so the lack of people shouldn't be an issue and we are only staying there for 5 days of diving. That's a bummer about the fish. I am also hoping to see some big fish with large dorsal fins, but we'll just have to wait and see what's around when we get there.
When I stayed at CocoView (across the lagoon from Fantasy Island) they took us to one dive site specifically so that we could swim with reef sharks. It was a good dive. I don't recall the name of the site at the moment, but it was only a short boat ride from the resort.

They also offer you the opportunity (for a $125 fee) to take a day trip to Anthony's Key Resort ... on the other side of the island ... and dive with dolphins.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom