Who are the best instructors in Nor Cal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefvagabond

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I was just curious who people thought were the best instructors in Nor Cal and for which class? Agency doesn't mater, just the quality of the instructor.

For example someone might be a great Open Water teacher but not a great Advanced or Rescue instructor.

Open Water: instructor name
Advanced: instructor name
Rescue: instructor name
Master Diver: instructor name

and whatever other specialties are out there.

What does "best" mean to you?

Are you looking for someone who can get you open water certified in two weekends and ready to do 40ft reef dives in Hawaii?

Or are you looking for someone who can get ready to dive 3 weekends a month in Monterey?

Are you looking for someone who will teach you how to be completely self sufficient solo diver?

Or are you looking for someone who will teach you how to be a proficient member of a dive team?

Looking for the cheapest training or the most comprehensive?

The answer to "who is the best" depends largely on what best means to you.

Not looking for cheapest more like the most comprehensive. Just looking for who people around here have found to be great instructors in teaching them how to dive, doing it safely, and offering lots of knowledge/experience.

I was not even aware there were instructors on being a solo divers or dive teams. So um, if you want to throw some names out for that, go for it.

Ask a specific question...otherwise you will never get your answer. there are many great teachers in the area, but without specific requirements no one will mention any names..:)

I only know around 7 instructors.
Of those 7 I've only been taught by 3.
Of those 3, I only keep in close contact with 2 and help out with their classes and programs.

I think my opinion would be greatly biased :wink:

Every agency has their own names for different types of classes. Some spread their classes out with many names and fees, and others offer more upfront for a higher cost. There are many agencies that can take you towards technical training. Team diving, solo diving, tech diving, so much of what agency you decide to take classes from is going to have be figured out first.

I have taken classes from PADI, TDI, NAUE, and GUE. The best bang for the buck, and also the most expensive, was GUE Fundies. The best dive instructors in the water, of all the people I have had train me, really let alone dive with, were from GUE with Rob, Beto, and Sue performing at the highest level, something I would expect from the agency they train for. UTD also holds their instructors to the highest standards, though I have never taken a UTD class myself. Of course GUE does not teach a specialty class such as AOW, Master Diver, Rescue, etc, but they do teach some of the specialty stuff inside their classes. Otherwise you have to go to other agencies.

Edit: With less than 25 dives an Essentials class from Don C. the local UTD instructor would be a good choice to improve your diving. Everyone I know who has taken the class has said nothing but good things. http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/page/essentials-of-recreational-1
He can be contacted on this board too. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/ae3753.html

Last edited:
I agree with Peter, with less than 25 dives, I would change your focus away from the standard AOW, Rescue, Dive Master Route. I took that route too early and it did not serve me well. I would focus on coaching over certification. If I had to do things over again, I would look for the following:

Navigation Speciality from any Agency
Nitrox Speciality from any agency
UTD Essentials of Recreational Diving or GUE Fundies Primer (I think UTD is more available in our area).

Last edited:
I totally agree with Peter about Don Chennavasin and Essentials. I took Essentials with him and it was a great class for improving my diving at a fundamental level.

Every agency has their own names for different types of classes. Some spread their classes out with many names and fees, and others offer more upfront for a higher cost. There are many agencies that can take you towards technical training. Team diving, solo diving, tech diving, so much of what agency you decide to take classes from is going to have be figured out first.

I have taken classes from PADI, TDI, NAUE, and GUE. The best bang for the buck, and also the most expensive, was GUE Fundies. The best dive instructors in the water, of all the people I have had train me, really let alone dive with, were from GUE with Rob, Beto, and Sue performing at the highest level, something I would expect from the agency they train for. UTD also holds their instructors to the highest standards, though I have never taken a UTD class myself. Of course GUE does not teach a specialty class such as AOW, Master Diver, Rescue, etc, but they do teach some of the specialty stuff inside their classes. Otherwise you have to go to other agencies.

Edit: With less than 25 dives an Essentials class from Don C. the local UTD instructor would be a good choice to improve your diving. Everyone I know who has taken the class has said nothing but good things. Essentials of Recreational Diving - Unified Team Diving
He can be contacted on this board too. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/ae3753.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom