Whitestar Quarry 8/17/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, i've seen more of whitestar in one hour than i ever could have guessed possible. Thankya much pvtstash.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I'll be doing my first openwater dives, at whitestar, on Aug 22nd and 23rd.
I was wondering what kind of exposure stuff I should wear. Someone told me that I should have a 7mm farmer john setup with gloves and a hood, but I doubt I'll be spending more than half an hour at a time below 20', and from what I hear, above 20' is 72ish this time of year.

Also, is there some crazy zebra muscle problem that necessitates the use of gloves? Will I cut up my hands going along divelines if I don't have any? (again, just things I've heard.)

I tend to be very tolerant of cold water. Any chance I'd do ok with just a 3mm full wetsuit?

Thanks very much,

xto

I was wondering what kind of exposure stuff I should wear. Someone told me ...

Most of the time the instructors at the quarry want you to wear all the stuff so that they can better evaluate you wearing ALL the stuff... I am sure that in the future you can dive any way you want depending on your comfort level but for your open water, listen to what your instructor recommends, take the "their class, their rules" approach to it, and if you get overheated talk with them about taking the hood off, taking the gloves off etc.

Personally, I don't dive the quarry without gloves, sharp metal, zebra mussels, broken glass and even fish hooks. I never dive the quarry without a hood, but I get cold easily and do not feel comfortable without both hood and gloves.

Another thing to consider is that most instructors take people on a tour after their skills. That means going deeper than just the training platforms. You probably wouldn't want to miss that because you didnt want to wear a hood... its warm, but not that warm. My thinking is that I can flush a suit to cool off, but It takes a long time to warm up.

My two cents... I will be down there with family fun day on Saturday, stop by and introduce yourself.

Have a great time!

Rich

I dove it with a three mill, no gloves no hood, and i was a little chilly, but not too bad. But then again, i'm 19 and stubborn, and refused to wear anything more than that. :p

I'm with you topsail. Pool work was done at 65 degrees for over an hour with a swimsuit and I was fine. The idea of a 7mil + 7mil jacket makes me claustrophobic...

I'm with you topsail. Pool work was done at 65 degrees for over an hour with a swimsuit and I was fine. The idea of a 7mil + 7mil jacket makes me claustrophobic...

Sorry To interject here. This right here is the Attitude that gets divers hurt or worse killed. You have your pool dives and that is it. A very knowledgable person, instructor and dive shop owner. Made all good points, in this thread already. As he should know, for the Reasons I have mentioned. But with your 1 hour pool dive you are now an expert. If I was your instructor I would fail you before we even started. Just my thoughts. If putting on a 7mil sounds like too much. Then maybe you should do your open waters in south Florida. I know it all attitudes is what gets divers in trouble.. just search google you will see the results, of I know it all. Do the dive community and your family a favor and put the 7 mil on the gloves and the hood. Do as your instructor tells you.

If Rich gives me a recommendation I listen. You did a pool dive with 100 plus feet of viz. You are now being put in a situation where there is a thermocline, it can get dark, there could be a lot of people in the water, viz could be low, and, let's be honest here, you have never been in the water before.

Many of us dive with hoods and gloves throughout the world. I will bring a 7mm down to the keys if I am doing multiple days of diving. You need to get used to wearing gear. I personally do not understand why shops even sell 3mm suits. (But that is me.)

Heed the advice my friend. This is an awesome sport filled with great people. Embrace your own humility and learn respect for those with experience. Your PADI/NAUI/SSI book has some useful information. The people you meet topside have invaluable information.

Take care and welcome to a new lifestyle. Good luck on your check outs.

Bus

Whoa!

Easy there fellas, I got nothing but respect for my elders and those with greater experience. Just sayin in general I'd prefer mobility to being toasty and warm. Plus the best way I learn is by mistakes, and while yes, I realize mistakes could kill you in this endeavor, I don't think having a 3 mil suit instead of a 7 mil in a quarry dive qualifies as a death wish.

At any rate, I will always do what i'm instructed. But, if my instructor allows it, I'd prefer the thinner suit.

Sorry to ruffle the feathers,

xto

It was 50 degrees at 47' by the tubes at Gilboa today...

50 ? in the 40's? ***? I'm used to being in the 60's down at 74' in the Crusher Pitt @ the W-star...

I had my 7mm, hood, worn out 5mm gloves, neoprene socks an booties and I was Cold.

a 3mm w/o hood or gloves would have been (to me) unnescessarily dangerous...

I'm gonna have to break out the 7mm overshorty for the MeetnGreet, as well as my 7mm gloves... I'm gonna be uncomfortably warm above 30' tho'.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom