Whitestar Quarry 8/17/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove it with a three mill, no gloves no hood, and i was a little chilly, but not too bad. But then again, i'm 19 and stubborn, and refused to wear anything more than that. :p

That was also failing to mention that at 19 and in college, buying wetsuits is not a top priority in the whole very empty bank account thing. (but don't worry, at the meet and greet, i'll be diving the right thickness to not freeze :D) Oh, and i didn't have enough weights to wear my 3mil shorty too. It was an all around leaving the house at 5am lapse in judgement, don't hate me for it!

Yay! I'm certified now!

Whitestar was pretty cool! So much easier to do somersaults and handstands than in the pool. Very clear this weekend, although the sun was a rare commodity. Still, saw lots of cool sunken boats, a motorcycle and sat on the throne. The second day the visibility was a little lower (prob from all the people kickin around saturday!) but my buddy and I still managed to successfully navigate to the frito lay truck without any help. Went down to the crusher on my last dive and watched some people disappear into the black pit. Can't wait to do that!
Water showed as 77 on the instructors dive computer. Thermocline was there, but very mild. (Would have taken a three mil, but the dive shop didnt have the pinnacle I was interested in so I was stuck with the 6.5 mil rental.) No need for gloves, a hood, or dive boots though.

I hear theres a pumpkin carving contest in October. Anyone here going to that?

-xto

Water showed as 77 on the instructors dive computer. Thermocline was there, but very mild.
-xto

It was 65 at the bottom of the crusher yesterday.

If you found the Frito truck you did better than we did. Somehow we missed it.

i was told lots of people miss the frito truck, because its on the far side of the quarry. Go diving with Pvtstash if you wanna see it, he'll show you EVERYTHING.

I've just been checking out the new virtual trail maps on the Whitestar site and see where we may have gone wrong. Starting from the sailboat near the fill shack, one map says 265 deg to the forest while another says 235. We were a bit north of the boat already when we headed 265. We probably went a touch north of the forest and missed everything. If we'd gone 235 we probably would have hit something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom