White's Fusion Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parzdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had some great dives on Sunday at Dutch Springs in eastern Pennsylvania. Water temp was in the low 50's. My new (to me) White's Fusion dry suit kept me dry and mostly warm. I was diving the White's Fusion with the Limited Edition Tech Skin with two pockets and Evo3 boots. I was using the MK2 thermals, just the john, not the jacket, although the jacket did keep me warm on the way to the dive sit. I had dove this suit early in the year and just bought it for myself.

Fit was good overall, I am 5'9" and on the heavy side, so it is the 2x/3xl for me. The only exception on the fit is the arms which are a bit too long for me. The wrist seal bunches a little and it is a bit difficult getting my gloves (Fourth Element 5mm) to sit on top of the seal, keeping the seals flat, then getting the gloves under the over-flap. But once in place, I had very little water entry into the gloves. The over-flap is awesome!

Neck seal fit on my thick neck (the seal had been trimmed). While there wasn't a very wide band of latex against my skin, I didn't get any seepage. My hood (Waterproof 5/7, no bib) sat nicely on top of the neck seal, probably helping keep the water out. I have to remember to put my mask on before my gloves. Getting the mask skirt under the hood while wearing the gloves was a challenge. Thanks go to my dive buddy for the assistance.

The thermals kept me warm overall. Torso and arms were fine, with a little chill in the legs. Shifting the bubble to the legs helped. I think a good base layer all over will help, rather than just the Under Armor compression shorts and t-shirt under the MK2.

My feet were a little cold, but I think just need better socks. Thought I might have a leak, but they were nice and dry. I was using the White's 3mm neoprene sock. I think a good pair of hiking socks will do the trick better.

While the Evo3 boots fit in my fins, they didn't fit in all the way, so the fins felt a little strange on the foot. I might need to get a pair of Chuck Taylors or new fins. I like my new fins and the Chucks are cheaper than new fins.

Weighting was good. Started with an extra 10 lbs over my 7mm wet configuration. Was heavy at the end of the dive with about 600 in my tank. Dropped 2 lbs and was still good. Might be able to drop a pound or two off that as well. Hopefully I'll get a couple more dives in before the end of the season.

A big thumbs up for the White's Fusion. I am very happy with the purchase that will let me dive more and expand my options.

Oh, the thin neoprene socks are DEFINITELY not enough in those temperatures!

I've actually found that a pair of polypro hiking socks with a pair of wooly fleece socks over them is better, as long as you don't lace the CTs up too tight to let the fleece expand.

Mike - Great to see you like your new Fusion drysuit. Looking forward to diving with you when my drysuit comes in. :D

Congratulations on the new suit!!

Mine is on the way and should get here by the end of the week. Too bad we are going out to town and to a place with no water close by :shakehead: so I can't try it out or get a class done before I get back.

I am getting both the Sport skin since the Tech. Ltd Edition (LTD Skin is on back order. I am going with the new Fusion boots to see how they work out. I may have to see about the CT shoes too since I do a fair amount of shore entries and don't think the Fusion boots will hold up to rocks very long. I went with the pockets...not sure how that is going to work out but at least I will have them for the odds and ends that I can't put in m BC.

Intersted in seeing how the MK2 works. I bought some nice fleecy undies from Ron on Ebay. They came today and look great. Nice savings on the price. I also bought some basic polypro first layer stuff at Sierra Trading that was on sale so I am ready to go...just need some water (and some training of course).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom