White Star Quarry Rentals and Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with the above. The OP isn’t a cold water diver. Think White Star would be better. Plus all the stairs at Gilboa can be a major PITA

Bottom temps at White Star in mid to upper 50’s now, surface close to 70.

Thanks everyone for the responses and info @Marie13 @Jhgt2d . Even had an immediate thread poacher, @MikeinAA. :) Maybe we'll see you tomorrow, still considering the trip down.

FWIW @Marie13, my first post-cert diving decades ago was cold water in the Puget Sound in a dry suit (which I bought at the time and has since disintegrated). Been cold water diving since in 7mm but not this cold (more like upper 50s into high 60s). (Though thanks for reassurance on current temps @Jcp2) My son did one dive in San Diego with me in those conditions in a wet suit, and we both found the tight suiting up and the weights to be barely worth the struggle, and there we were diving with sea lions.

We live in Ann Arbor and really would like to take advantange of some diving in the area -- ultimately some of the wrecks in Huron, not so much the quarry which would just be practice -- but it's been hard to see it being worth the startup costs. Not keen to buy two dry suits if it turns out we're just not into it enough. And can't rent dry suits without the cert (if at all), which also is a cost. And while understandable from a liability perspective for the renter, IMO totally unnecessary for the diver. It's a couple bits of info about bouyancy control that can be easily explained and quickly practiced.

Then there's the issue of who knows whether there will even be wet suits and gear down there unless we take off from Ann Arbor at 6am. I'm not that early of a bird. :) Would be very helpful to be able to reserve (with pre-payment of course). Also FWIW, I did try to get info on renting over the weekend from both Divers Inc and Huron Scuba, but pricing and terms (shops closed on weekends, or at least Saturday?, have to pay for multiple days still?, no full package price?) were unclear at Divers Inc, and no info is currently on Huron Scuba's web site, and I ran out of time on Thurs/Fri to seek more clarity.

Anyway, bottom line, will look to do it sometime but need more prep and info. :)

My local quarry south of Chicago has very few classes due to Father’s Day weekend so perhaps you’ll have the same luck at White Star.

It’s standard, in the US at least, for dry suit cert to be required to rent. I’ve come across plenty of tales of divers who have their own suit but don’t have the cert, who are surprised when they can’t rent a suit when theirs is in for repair.

If you’d have trouble leaving AA at 6 am, what would you do if you had a 8am charter out of the Thumb for Huron wrecks? You have to be early for a charter. Pulling up at 8 am doesn’t make you popular with the crew or other divers.

Shops usually seem to be closed on Saturday. And yes, you’d probably have to pay for the entire weekend. Welcome to Midwest diving. Many of us who dive locally/regionally l have all or most of our own gear.

... We live in Ann Arbor and really would like to take advantange of some diving in the area -- ultimately some of the wrecks in Huron, not so much the quarry which would just be practice ...:)
@gajahduduk,

I moved to AA from central MO in the early 1990's. I used my MO/AR dive gear (1/4" farmer John, 1/4 " long-sleeve step-in shorty, 1/4" booties and hood, 3-finger mitts) for my first dives in the area (e.g., White Star Quarry, Gilboa Quarry, and Portage Quarry). I was fine. I made sure to get out of my wetsuit (completely) between dives and take a long surface interval to warm up thoroughly between dives.

I soon purchased a drysuit, so I don't have any personal experience diving wet in the Great Lakes. However, I did have a MO friend drive up from MO to join me on my first dive trips to St Ignace and Isle Royale. The only change she made to her MO/AR dive gear (wetsuit, configured similar to mine) was to switch her hood for a hooded vest, and wear wool liners inside her mitts and wool socks inside her booties. She was fine.

FWIW,

rx7diver

Even had an immediate thread poacher, @MikeinAA. :)
Well with your great introduction I had to jump in.

Try Michigan adventure divers in Milan. Great guy. Call first. Hours are flexible and non regular. I have a lot of his gear this weekend though. I think he does have a few dry suits, but I’m not sure about if you need a cert to rent them.

My family and I will be at white star around 11 tomorrow. It’s me (mid 40s guy), wife, 2 big college boys, and my 13 yo daughter. Say hi if you see us.

I'll be there most of the day. If I see you I'll drop by and say hi.

I'll be there most of the day. If I see you I'll drop by and say hi.

Nice to meet you today and thanks for the help!

Our first dive was a mess. Took a long time to get everyone in their gear. And then to get the right weight to get people down. We did get some time underwater but my wife’s and I had trouble clearing our ears.

Wife and daughter sat the second dive out. Me and boys set out to find the school bus. We learned that my navigation skills are non existent. We did finally find it by surfacing.

Oh well I guess that’s what the quarry is for. To learn.

It was good meeting you as well. No worries, hopefully everyone had fun. Taking it slow is the key to clearing ears, doubly so for cold water.

Nav in water this clear is a true test of anyone's skills. I had to double back to get to the chip truck and motorcycle and bus. Seems I still have some work to do on my nav skills as well. White star is a great resource for nav work though, and it's only 30 minutes from my house.

If you end up this direction again and want a dive buddy let me know, I am always looking for people to dive with.

Back
Top Bottom