White lies told by your LDS when you first started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told...

Nobody needs nitrox and it would likely get you in trouble.

if you do staged decompression diving you WILL get bent.

Force fins were the best.

Split fins were the best.

Only crazzy people with more money than brains cave dive and that it would eventually kill you.

The worst was what they didn't tell me. There is a whole world of diving that they tried real hard to hide.

I wasn't told this by my regular shop but one in a nearby city:
"Look at these double hose regs, I can't even get $5 apiece for them!!!"

I promptly reached into my wallet & said "I'll take all you have".
Needless to say, the dweeb threw the reg back in the drawer & slammed it shut. I was diving a 2-hose 'till the Cyklons became available with their anti-freeze kit. Regulator freeze was a nasty problem that didn't happen to double hose regs.

Way to go, Bob. I bet that guy will think twice before complaining about not being able to sell anything. :wink:

I remember being told that it's ok to buy cheaper gear when you get started out and then just upgrade it later as you become better at diving.

:rolleyes:

dvleemin once bubbled...

Now what's so untrue about that :)

Everyone knows cave divers have no money!!!! :croctears

I was told by my YMCA Instructor

"Only Asst. Instructors or higher are allowed to dive solo"

Told by a Padi divemaster (on charter in key largo)

"Your doing it wrong the long hose is supposed to be used as your octopus, like i have it"

Told by a Padi Instructor (on same charter)

"We cant let you dive with your hose being so long its to dangerous. Your going to have to rent a reg set from us if you want to dive"

Lets see, im not an asst. instructor and have done several hundred solo sives.

That same LDS/Charter now teaches TDI and now allows long hose as primary etc.

raviepoo once bubbled...
[B"You don't want to go deep. There's nothing good to see below 60 ft anyway." [/B]

Thats a good one! I still hear a few recreational divers tell me this one too. They say why do i want to get into all that technical diving "there isnt really anything worth seeing past 100ft, everything is within 60ft of the surface".

And of course i heard if you buy equipment from the internet you will have to send it away for it to be serviced.

Its amazing the comon lies we heard, why i wonder?

1) You will go into oxygen convulsions if you go deeper than 100 feet.

2) Nitrox will kill you.

3) Drysuits will kill you.

4) There's no good reason to dive locally other than ow checkout dives. And even that's not such a good idea.

To be honest, I'm surprised that I'm still alive (chuckle). I guess that's why I drive an hour to my favorite LDS instead of 20 minutes to where I originally got certified.

-Frank

you should off-gas and ascend in a horizontal position.

you can't use split fins for technical dives.

back plates and wings are best for single tanks.

there is only one way to do things right.

computers rot your brain.

:tease:

there ya go... five lures in da water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom