White lies told by your LDS when you first started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also started at a LDS in CO, they were all right--at least they were up front about the class costs--and didn't load the add-on's.
The claims about the gear were about the same as I read previously. (Even though it was a rip, I do like the Ato B2 reg very much!)
After moving down south last year, I found out how bad a LDS can be-- if you are going to screw me, don't try to lie about it and act like it is a "normal" business practice.(adding 300+% markup to everything in the store) and then making me show proof of where I purchased the regs before doing annual service! (They would not work on anything purchased over the 'net according to the owner)

In the meantime, the wife and I joined a local dive/rescue team and don't have to worry about dealing with them at all--Even have access to a new fill station and as many tanks as we need!

hotsoup631 once bubbled...
Like most people, I started my dive experience at the LDS. I don't think my LDS is bad, but I've been burned enough that I'm also wary of it. It annoys me how my expenses have doubled and doubled again. It reminds me of a game that I played in business school. The only winning strategy was not to play in the first place.

But, I really want to dive, and I want to avoid the majority of the "cattle". I know it sounds bad, but I really felt that some of the people in my OW class were a danger to themselves and to their buddies!

It sounds like many of the people posting have extensive dive experience, so you're not tied to the LDS's.

However, what is a beginner diver to do?

On one hand, my LDS are a source of information and instruction. On the other hand, my LDS is pressuring me to spend, spend, spend. I realize that I'm getting ripped off, but there seems to be little choice in the matter.

:wink: As Genesis was trying to say. Buy your own compressor, tanks, rebuild kits and stay away from the LDS. :boom: Seriously, some LDSs' will try to get every penny they can from you and feed you every line in the book to do it. If possible, find another LDS or two and visit them a few times. Let the sales people know that you're just looking around and see how friendly they are. If they stay friendly and don't seem put off if you ask them some questions then they might be the kind of LDS you want to associate with. Genesis said you can learn most of the good info diving instead of taking classes. Not bad advice. Find out where the locals dive and just go and hang out, and dive. Take some classes just to keep up with new info and you'll pick up a lot of trivia that will make you the life of your next dinner party.

Seriously, some LDSs' will try to get every penny they can from you and feed you every line in the book to do it.
You just gotta love our free enterprise system. :tease:

Back
Top Bottom