White lies told by your LDS when you first started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're right about one thing... The long hose is not taught in OW class.

It's taught in AOW class. (Page 8 of the PADI AOW manual.)

Take DIR and GUE out of the equation... Which setup do you think we should learn? The OW way, or the AOW way?

For that matter, ever wonder why the OW and the AOW way are different? Doesn't make any sense, does it?

Especially since the AOW way would also work with the Air 2... Why not just teach the "right" way from the beginning? Wouldn't it cause a whole lot less confusion? At the very least, you wouldn't have to teach (or learn) twice!

Here's the bottom line: When someone's out of air, they grab the reg that they see anyway... The one with the bubbles coming from it... The one right out of your mouth! Why not simply plan for this instead of trying to teach some other way?

Genesis once bubbled...
I didn't bother trying the turtles.

The Jets fit me ok in the XL size and my drysuit; I have the "dry socks" on my suit, and wear a 3 mil bootie over that. They're spot-on with the fit.

HOWEVER, those are the biggest jets you can get! So if you have a bigger foot, or a bigger drysuit sock, that's all there is.

My issue with them is that they're worthless if you want (or need!) to use a flutter kick. You won't go anywhere, and you WILL cramp up. For frogs and such they're ok, but I can frog at least as well with my TwinJets as I can with them.....

Thought I'd give that Kool-Aid a sip, but didn't care for the taste and had to spit it out :wink:

I disagree. I used turtles in Jackson Blue last mosday. Talk about ripping flow. If you looked to the side it would take your mask off. I had to cross a section with a flat sand bottom and flutter kicked for part of the way. I don't believe splits would have gotten through at all. I can't prove that because I have never seen anyone willing to try it. I didn't cramp and in fact my legs never even got tiered. I can fly when fluttering in turtles.

raviepoo once bubbled...

This is the one thing on your list that I kind of agree with. The instructor is trying to teach standard, open water skills as defined by whatever agency they are part of. Using a 7 foot hose as the primary is not part of that skill set. In an actual out of air emergency using the kind of rig I assume you have you and your buddy would share air differently than the standard method taught in the open water class. You would go to the Octo and your buddy would take the reg out of your mouth.

The LDS was right. Your long hose would have been confusing for your buddy.

I am not aware of any agency that specifies hose length or which reg should be donated.

I had a local LDS talk me into buyig a 65# OMS unbungeed wing for diving a single tank. At the time I had no idea so I took his word for it. He told me that a few guys he knew were diving it with a single tank and loved it.

About a month later back in the same LDS we start talking about wings and what works with what etc. Anyway h e tells me that there is no way you should be using a 653 wign and diving an STA. SO we get into this whole big discussion about it, then he goes on to tell me that a mutual friend who's diving that set and supposedly loves it, complained that it's the worst tihng he ever dove.

Now here I am talking to this guy, listening to him bad mouth diving a 65# wing and STA, after he sold me the complete same setup 2 months eariler. It really pi$$ed me off to no end. Especially when I take an experienced diver's word about something. I learned a very valuable lesson. Don't pay attention to what they sell, pay attention to what the DIVE!!!!!!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I am not aware of any agency that specifies hose length or which reg should be donated.

Well, GUE does, obviously.

PADI's take on it is more like, "This is what an advanced diver would choose," but doesn't tell the exact lengths. The hose config in the picture is DIR, though.

Take a look... PADI's AOW manual... Like I said, I think it's page 8...

Seajay
I would have to guess your looking at a fairly new version of the PADI Adventures in Diving Manual. I would have to guess that PADI was in the process of setting up the Deep Tec program, so that manual would fall in line with Tec down the road.

T

icediver once bubbled...
Seajay
I would have to guess your looking at a fairly new version of the PADI Adventures in Diving Manual.

Yep, new-n-shiny! :D

I would have to guess that PADI was in the process of setting up the Deep Tec program, so that manual would fall in line with Tec down the road.

T

That's one heck of an idea... To make the learning process "modular," as in, "the things you learn in this course are going to be helpful to you in the future."

What a great idea... :wink:

SeaJay once bubbled...

Here's the bottom line: When someone's out of air, they grab the reg that they see anyway... The one with the bubbles coming from it... The one right out of your mouth! Why not simply plan for this instead of trying to teach some other way?

And here's the PS: When my buddy comes up and just takes my reg out of my mouth with out the OOA sign, I grab it back and and grab his mask at the same time. Now I can back up while he flails. I regroup and give him my Alt. Then at the surface I comence to beating him.

A good buddy (me) will be watching my air guage and his, and he should be watching mine. We should know BEFORE the other is in trouble and be ready to assist, i.e. have the alt ready and out in front of him forcing it into OOA buddy's face as he comes up to us.

SeaJay once bubbled...

Well, GUE does, obviously.

PADI's take on it is more like, "This is what an advanced diver would choose," but doesn't tell the exact lengths. The hose config in the picture is DIR, though.

Take a look... PADI's AOW manual... Like I said, I think it's page 8...

I'm sure you already know all about PADI's take on it but there is nothing in PADI OW or AOW standards that specify hose length or which reg is donated. The point is there is nothing in the standards that prevent an instructor from teaching air sharing one way or the other. I was responding to a post that suggested that donating the primary was not consistant with recreational standards. I do all my diving and teaching using a long hose.

Back
Top Bottom