White film on mask skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The weird thing is that the film forms while the mask is submerged, when I'm soaking it in fresh water. But if not salts, it could be minerals in the water coming out of solution when it contacts the skirt? But I've never considered our municipal water to be hard...

That's what I thought. Yet at the same time, I don't want my skirt degrading either. Can anyone else chime in on the validity of this?

Silicone is an incredibly stable and durable material. Keep it out of the elements when not in use and it's not going anywhere. I would not be applying any dressings or preservatives.

Pete

The weird thing is that the film forms while the mask is submerged, when I'm soaking it in fresh water. But if not salts, it could be minerals in the water coming out of solution when it contacts the skirt? But I've never considered our municipal water to be hard...

And you drink that stuff? :rofl3: Sorry, I thought you were seeing it after soaking. That is strange.

I get the same thing . I dive salt, and rinse in fresh. It seems to rub off easily when wet.

Is it a film?

Recently I have found several lost masks while diving. When found the skirts were solid opaque white in color. After leaving them to dry out they turned crystal clear. They were from different dives in different bodies of water.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom