White film on mask skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphonsis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked up a new pair of oceanic shadows and have found after each diving session when i'm soaking them in fresh water, the black skirt builds up this white film. I didn't see it on my old mask, but it had a clear skirt.

Is this normal?

I tasted it to see if it was salt, but it wasn't. It comes off with scrubbing under a stream of water, so no worries. Just curious.

Thanks!

This same thing happens to me but only after I have been in a chlorinated pool. Is this after salt water dives?

i have had this happen on all my black masks. always assumed it came from skin oils or such. how did it taste?

Most of the time it's just TALC, a moderately decent protectant.
If you scrub it all off, be sure to give the skirt a treatment with something like McNett's UV Tech or plain old silicone in a pump spray bottle.
UVTech_Dive.jpg
Sil_pump_06.jpg

SCB_UVTech

Most of the time it's just TALC, a moderately decent protectant.
If you scrub it all off, be sure to give the skirt a treatment with something like McNett's UV Tech or plain old silicone in a pump spray bottle.
UVTech_Dive.jpg
Sil_pump_06.jpg

SCB_UVTech

Bob, since the mask skirts are also a silicone material, is it really necessary to treat them? And can there be some reaction between the liquid silicone and the mask skirt like there is if you use silicone grease with silicone O-rings on camera housings?

I'd be careful of applying silicone around a lens you are working to keep exquisitely clean. Silicone is the antithesis of anti-fog.

Pete

This same thing happens to me but only after I have been in a chlorinated pool. Is this after salt water dives?

Yes, this is after ocean dives.

i have had this happen on all my black masks. always assumed it came from skin oils or such. how did it taste?

Like nothing.

I'd be careful of applying silicone around a lens you are working to keep exquisitely clean. Silicone is the antithesis of anti-fog.

That's what I thought. Yet at the same time, I don't want my skirt degrading either. Can anyone else chime in on the validity of this?

Could it be because of contact with a wetsuit? I know that contact with clear silicone and neoprine will cause discoloration. Just a thought anyway.

Could it be because of contact with a wetsuit? I know that contact with clear silicone and neoprine will cause discoloration. Just a thought anyway.

hmm, that's possible too. I wear it on my neck on approach so the skirt definetly contacted neoprene...

I believe all he is getting is a layer of minerals left over from the evaporating water, either salt or fresh. The new silicone skirts tend to show this up more because of the bright shiny finish. If it just wipes off with a cloth/paper towel, I doubt it is anything in the material itself, just some surface residue. BTW, contact with neoprene on a clear skirt will discolor it, but there should be no impact on a black skirt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom