Whiskey Wreck(beach area) Post Ivan and Gulf Shores/Orange Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I went :)

I couldn't see my hand outstretched while I was UW, I had to be about 10" above the sand before I could recognize it as sand and not just thick water :p. The second sandbar is definately further back than it used to be. The wreck used to sit directly behind the sandbar, so I'm worried that the wreck is now under the sand as we could not locate the wreck even though we were in the correct general area(this will have been the first time I've not found the wreckage during the day - its only happened one other time - at night). I'm hoping I simply missed it, like I said, the visibility was absolutely horrid and there is alot of particle still suspended in the water.

I'll be trying again in 2-3 weeks, with any luck.

The weekend wasn't a total bummer though :) Had a great time at the Destin Jeddies Saturday. There is a dive report on it in the FL Conch forum, by SeaYoda, who we met there. FSUgly and seaangel as well as two of my normal buddies also dove - good time and decent visibility 15-25'. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll have another day-time high tide until sometime next year in Destin/PC/Pensacola/OrangeBeach/ect...

I guess we'll be visiting more springs and jumping on more boats.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Well, I went :)

I couldn't see my hand outstretched while I was UW, I had to be about 10" above the sand before I could recognize it as sand and not just thick water :p. The second sandbar is definately further back than it used to be. The wreck used to sit directly behind the sandbar, so I'm worried that the wreck is now under the sand as we could not locate the wreck even though we were in the correct general area(this will have been the first time I've not found the wreckage during the day - its only happened one other time - at night). I'm hoping I simply missed it, like I said, the visibility was absolutely horrid and there is alot of particle still suspended in the water.

I'll be trying again in 2-3 weeks, with any luck.

The weekend wasn't a total bummer though :) Had a great time at the Destin Jeddies Saturday. There is a dive report on it in the FL Conch forum, by SeaYoda, who we met there. FSUgly and seaangel as well as two of my normal buddies also dove - good time and decent visibility 15-25'. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll have another day-time high tide until sometime next year in Destin/PC/Pensacola/OrangeBeach/ect...

I guess we'll be visiting more springs and jumping on more boats.

Thanks for the info, too bad you couldn't find the wreck. Oh well, I guess I'll do my winter diving at Toledo Bend.

Not yet, dove Morrison last weekend. I'm in Tuscaloosa this weekend, War Eagle :) Next weekend I plan on trying to find the wreck again, more to come on this thread then!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Not yet, dove Morrison last weekend. I'm in Tuscaloosa this weekend, War Eagle :) Next weekend I plan on trying to find the wreck again, more to come on this thread then!
Hey is that Morrison Springs? I heard the State bought it is that true, and if so can you still dive it if so how?

Yes, Morrison Springs is the same Morrison I was reffering to :) The state owns it now, but you can still dive it. You just show up and dive, no entrance fees or anything. The fascilities have been reduced to cold showers and bathrooms - the dive shop is locked up and the compressors are all gone - so bring all of your own gear(or go up to Vortex to pick it up first). I've had 8 dives on it now, all of them since Oct. Get there at 8AM or earlier and get into the waters ASAP otherwise you're gonna fight students for room in the water and you won't have the visibility you would've had if you got in the water before everyone else!

As for the Whiskey Wreck, it looks like I'll be out there Saturday morning at the very least. If I'm able to locate it, I'll be back Sunday at some point.

Gonna go pick up another spearfishing liscense Friday... Maybe I'll have some flounder by the end of the weekend :wink:

SuPrBuGmAn:
Yes, Morrison Springs is the same Morrison I was reffering to :) The state owns it now, but you can still dive it. You just show up and dive, no entrance fees or anything. The fascilities have been reduced to cold showers and bathrooms - the dive shop is locked up and the compressors are all gone - so bring all of your own gear(or go up to Vortex to pick it up first). I've had 8 dives on it now, all of them since Oct. Get there at 8AM or earlier and get into the waters ASAP otherwise you're gonna fight students for room in the water and you won't have the visibility you would've had if you got in the water before everyone else!

As for the Whiskey Wreck, it looks like I'll be out there Saturday morning at the very least. If I'm able to locate it, I'll be back Sunday at some point.

Gonna go pick up another spearfishing liscense Friday... Maybe I'll have some flounder by the end of the weekend :wink:
Bug Man , I'm headed to Fl on Dec. 23 I know thats a little out there but I would like to dive with y'all then if you are going to. I'll have my little bro. 21 yrs who just got OW certified. I want to take him to a spring maybe Morrisons, and probably St Andrews Jetties to get him a little more experience 1st. But after that we will be diving every day till Jan 1 '05 if I have my way. What do you think.

Couldn't tell you yet, I goto New Orleans at some point during Christmas every year - I'll have to get with my parents on when the festivities are occuring this year. I'm sure I'll have atleast one of those weekends open.

St. Andrews will be a tough dive to hit correctly with good visibility. Our surf is up a bit more during the winter and all of our high tides are at night until March. So you are looking at a night-time shore dive, while possibly fighting surf... or a sludge dive during the day while possibly fighting surf again :) You'll want to hit either high or low tide, otherwise you'll be in Cuba before you can figure out which way is up.

Morrison is easy, and Vortex is just north of it for some fun little training swim-throughs that people usually enjoy there first trip there. Vortex is also always clear. Morrison is a better dive IMO(more natural, more wildlife, larger cavern) but it can flood if the river gets high and it silts out easily if you get there during or after OW classes... and Morrison is free :) Vortex will cost ~$25 or so.

Just keep me informed on what and when you plan to dive and I'd like to come along for the dive if I have the time.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Couldn't tell you yet, I goto New Orleans at some point during Christmas every year - I'll have to get with my parents on when the festivities are occuring this year. I'm sure I'll have atleast one of those weekends open.

St. Andrews will be a tough dive to hit correctly with good visibility. Our surf is up a bit more during the winter and all of our high tides are at night until March. So you are looking at a night-time shore dive, while possibly fighting surf... or a sludge dive during the day while possibly fighting surf again :) You'll want to hit either high or low tide, otherwise you'll be in Cuba before you can figure out which way is up.

Morrison is easy, and Vortex is just north of it for some fun little training swim-throughs that people usually enjoy there first trip there. Vortex is also always clear. Morrison is a better dive IMO(more natural, more wildlife, larger cavern) but it can flood if the river gets high and it silts out easily if you get there during or after OW classes... and Morrison is free :) Vortex will cost ~$25 or so.

Just keep me informed on what and when you plan to dive and I'd like to come along for the dive if I have the time.
Sounds good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom