Whiskey Wreck(beach area) Post Ivan and Gulf Shores/Orange Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I finally managed to get down to the beach(Gulf Shores, AL) today and there really is quite a bit of devestation. They will let you into the main beach area where 59 meets with 182 and you can go about 3 blocks west and as far east as the bridge at Ono Island(just past Perdido Pass Bridge).

Going West, you can't really go too far before hitting the police check point that will turn you away unless you are construction or a home-owner. We were able to get as far as Bahama Bobs Cafe, which is directly north of the Whiskey Wreck. The Whiskey Wreck is probably the easiest beach dive in the area to get into as there is a public parking area with showers and a boardwalk leading to be beach. This parking lot neighbors Bahama Bobs east side. The parking lot is full of sand and its quite apparant that the excess sand from the road and some of the other parking lots were being bulldozed into the public parking area. The boardwalk survived with minimal damage but the shower heads are missing along with the dunes and sea-oats. You can view pictures of the area here http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album30 I've yet to be able to get back into the water to dive the Whiskey Wreck since the hurricane but I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping by next weekend the fecal content in the water will have dropped so I can take a dip without feeling self conscious about diving in poop. The water is already starting to clear, probably in the 3' vis range now :) better than the crapaccino it was before...

The boat you see in the pictures is a small shrimp troller, the wreck is in the same area...

Heading East the majority of the shops are gutted completely out, if they weren't completely leveled. The bottom floors of most of the condominiums were gutted while upper floors had broken windows and sheetrock damage from the wind. The pier at Gulf State Park, the large cement one, has alot of sections missing, including the ramp - the large area at the very end where the majority of the people fish is still standing but secluded by about 50' of missing pier. You can see where Lake Shelby and the gulf connected, ripping away the highway, which has been repaved for temporary travel. More of the same down the greater part of Orange Beach. Alot of the beach houses were completely destroyed as well as a few of the larger condominiums which lay in crumbles. Alabama Point looks different, the jeddies at the end of the sand peninsula now form an island as the sand has washed away and reformed on the inside of the channel. So there are now two rock islands to draw in fish.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Going West, you can't really go too far before hitting the police check point that will turn you away unless you are construction or a home-owner. We were able to get as far as Bahama Bobs Cafe, which is directly north of the Whiskey Wreck. The Whiskey Wreck is probably the easiest beach dive in the area to get into as there is a public parking area with showers and a boardwalk leading to be beach. This parking lot neighbors Bahama Bobs east side. The parking lot is full of sand and its quite apparant that the excess sand from the road and some of the other parking lots were being bulldozed into the public parking area. The boardwalk survived with minimal damage but the shower heads are missing along with the dunes and sea-oats. You can view pictures of the area here http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album30 I've yet to be able to get back into the water to dive the Whiskey Wreck since the hurricane but I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping by next weekend the fecal content in the water will have dropped so I can take a dip without feeling self conscious about diving in poop. The water is already starting to clear, probably in the 3' vis range now :) better than the crapaccino it was before... .

Let me know how it goes, as I've been wanting to dive the whiskey wreck (just haven't had the time as of yet)

No problem, its the closest dive to me - so when it becomes available we usually hit it atleast once a week.

so the concrete pier is really broke up? I snorkled there in july '04 and saw a lot of huge redfish and big sheepshead, while my wife sat in the shade of the pier. how was the building at the start of the pier where they sold bait?
allen

The building w/bait and bathrooms has been wiped off the face of the beach. The pier is definately pretty broken up, but I'm sure they will rebuild it - its always brought lots of tourists and fishermen to the park.

Hey let me know if it is diveable also. i want to get some dives in when i get hoe at the end of the week. went out with diver down last time i was home and had a good time.
Oilman,
where do you usually go diveing at. i was going to build a latter for my brothers boat, but he is selling it. may need to get one now.
i am looking to go dive somewhere when i get home, hope to find something.

Willing to drive another 1.5hours further than Gulf Shores? There are plenty of dives that are already accessible again, fresh water springs and saltwater beach dives.

I will be checking this weekend and hopefully diving it, I'll post in the Dixie forum so everyone is aware :)

I worked a job on Ono Island today, the water actually had a blue-ish tint to it, diving the wreck Sunday may not be so horrible :)

Rig Magician:
Hey let me know if it is diveable also. i want to get some dives in when i get hoe at the end of the week. went out with diver down last time i was home and had a good time.
Oilman,
where do you usually go diveing at. i was going to build a latter for my brothers boat, but he is selling it. may need to get one now.
i am looking to go dive somewhere when i get home, hope to find something.

Rig Magician, when I get my boat up and running, I'll be making some trips to Toledo Bend to visit some of those underwater cemetaries. Depending on the report from Gulf Shores, I might be able to do the whiskey wreck next weekend if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom